I hate this!

dukxdog

When I pull into a public hunting parking area, let my dog out...he finds a pile of GUTS, wings or breasted carcasses left there by previous hunters. I can't understand leaving this where another guy's dog eats or rolls in this mess. WTF!!!

There are much better options for things to do with cleaned birds than leave them in a publicly used location. This is a very inconsiderate practice that I really HATE!

PS: Don't crap there either! Same dog results!!! Just as irritating to see wind scattered TP flagging in the weeds!

Last edited:
Agreed. Put your gut pile somewhere else!
I don't like seeing it on public land, but where it REALLY bothers me in SD is Walk-In Areas & CREP land - privately owned & leased by the State to allow public access. Why give a landowner a reason to NOT renew that type of contract?? Treat the land like your own.
I pulled up to a CREP spot Sunday & as I was getting ready to hunt, noticed a couple pop cans & candy bar wrappers left there in the short grass of the parking area. So I quick picked them up & threw them in my truck. Not 2 minutes later a guy stops on the road to talk to me. Turns out it was the owner of the land & we had a great conversation. I let him know how appreciative I am that he chose to participate in the CREP program that gave me a place to hunt that day. I was so glad I'd picked up that trash so he didn't see it. Hunting opportunities have been lost for less.

Last week in Iowa I stopped in a WMA parking late in the day just to change out of my hunting boots for the long drive home. I let the dogs out one last time and while my back was turned they got into "something". It was an oil or grease of some kind somebody dumped next to the parking lot. I could see it all over the grass and barrier pole. There was a paper towel in it they used to wipe out a container. It had a very weird smell. Almost like linseed but nothing I could identify. Definitely not cooking oil. They licked it and had it all over their muzzles and it stunk up my truck all the way home. I was very worried that it was some kind of pesticide or poison. As far as guts go we have cleaned a few in random ditches but this year I keep trash bags with me and take everything. Maybe sometimes we still plant a "dummy" in the ditch for the next ditch hunter............:)

It's the Bell Curve. The vast majority of people (using A5's example) will walk right by trash in the parking area. The right end of the curve are people that have trash bags in the truck and clean up after others as best they can.

The left end of the curve are the people who dump the trash and clean the birds and walk away.

All we can do is try to be the upper end of the curve.

NOT IN THE PARKING LOT or in the ditch for starters? Doing that puts a real negative stereotype on bird hunters.

Many lodging operations (motels) in pheasant country will have a bird cleaning station.

Worst case, there's always the tailgate of your truck with the remains put in a trash bag and then put the bag.in a trash receptacle in town.

Our town has a public dumpster. We clean birds in the garage then throw away the offal every couple days depending on temperatures.

Hotels have dumpsters. Gas stations have trash barrels. It's not to hard to find a decent place other that parking areas where dogs are the primary concern.

I skin, take wings and head off, leaving one foot. I do it all in the parking areas. Everything I take off the birds goes into a trash bag. When I get home, the bag goes in my regular trash and gets hauled out with all the rest every week. Also, usually come back with others trash also in said bag. I'll even pick up spent hulls when I find them. One, because they don't degrade very well. Two, I'd rather not let people know there are birds around to shoot at.

I skin, take wings and head off, leaving one foot. I do it all in the parking areas. Everything I take off the birds goes into a trash bag. When I get home, the bag goes in my regular trash and gets hauled out with all the rest every week. Also, usually come back with others trash also in said bag. I'll even pick up spent hulls when I find them. One, because they don't degrade very well. Two, I'd rather not let people know there are birds around to shoot at.
I leave feathers at places that have nothing, to throw people off. Lol

Concur completely...

Of the Wrecking Crew, two could care less about rolling in a stinking mess, but Boogie can't resist it. If there's a rotten carcass/guts or cow patties in the area, she will find & roll in it...

Concur completely...

Of the Wrecking Crew, two could care less about rolling in a stinking mess, but Boogie can't resist it. If there's a rotten carcass/guts or cow patties in the area, she will find & roll in it...
I can tell when my dog finds a dead rat.She will start circling it, and I can usually get over there. She wont roll in dung, or gut piles, nothing like that. I just have never figured out why rats are out in prairie country? Strange.

I can tell when my dog finds a dead rat.She will start circling it, and I can usually get over there. She wont roll in dung, or gut piles, nothing like that. I just have never figured out why rats are out in prairie country? Strange.
Having lived in the rural areas of a rural state since the early 80s, I've found that rats show up where ever there is food for them. You have horses, poultry or goats? You have rats...

Back