I got the Blues

Skeet Mc

I just got back from hunting three days in the Roswell NM area, and WOW!!! The Blues were awesome. I haven't seen that many in years. If not for the poor shooting we could have shot our limits before noon each day. It's a long trip from Amarillo but I will go back before the season ends. Sorry no PIC's I havent figured out how to add them to the site from my iPad.

Great news!!:) I live in Oklahoma and I am a big Bobwhite hunter, but would like to hunt the Roswell area. Are there any Public walk-in areas or other kinds of public hunting available. Thanks

BLM and State Lands are the way to go in NM. The Ranchers that lease it have a tendency to over graze but if you find cover you will find birds. It will take several trips to find your own honey holes. I suggest a good GPS with NM map chip.

I may be headed that way; would like to visit with you about your hunt.
Jim

Jim--I live in Albuquerque. I hunted Roswell area about 8 years ago and always wanted to go back but bird situation wasn't good last few years. Maybe we could meet up. I have a GPS and may remember a few places we hunted.

Haven't been out for a few weeks until this weekend when I visited some friends in Carlsbad. Reminded me of the "good old days". Saw multiple large number covies, lots of opportunity, could easily have limited if we were so inclined, great weekend!!

Im a KS guy who's been daydreaming for a few years of hunting the western OK, the panhandle of TX or AZ/NM -- always read your guys post with lots of interest.

Good to hear you got in the birds. We have prairie rattlers where I hunt at -- have to worry about them on warmer days -- are there many snakes in your area?

Someday I'll have to make a roadtrip down. Need to do it while I'm still young. :cheers:

Ks,

There are plenty of snakes in NM but in almost 30 years of quail hunting in NM I haven't had a bad encounter. I do give my dogs the rattlesnake vaccine for what its worth. Hope you can make it down, it was a spectacular day yesterday...lots of birds, deep blue clear sky, cool enough for a light jacket but not too hot for the dogs, didn't see a soul in the vast expanses of thousands of acres of public land.

Cheers,
Mike (KSU College of Vet Med, 1984)

Zia, are you hunting public land? I know there's a lot of BLM that way and someone once told me there are a LOT of quail somewhere around Carlsbad and the TX border, all on BLM. I forget the name of the little town he said to go to. I'll look it up on a map and revise this post if I find it. FOUND IT: Loco Hills east of Artesia. A few years ago a guy told me there were lots of quail around that area.

Last edited:
yes, 100% public land....BLM and state. I think you could pick a direction and have a good hunt

Did I see you went to KSU vet school? My wife went to KSU to get her masters in teaching (but both of us are retired now). I retired from the AF a while back and again when I made it to SS age. My wife's from Salina. My first duty assignment in 1970 was to Forbes AFB in Topeka. I used to go up to Clay Center with the Security Police Chief and his First Sergeant and we hunted pheasants there. Those were the good old days...lots of birds including quail and prairie chickens. Anyway, I do love to bird hunt. I may hit NE Colorado for pheasants with another AF buddy of mine who lives in Pueblo before the season ends up there (like next week!) I want to get down your way one of these days also. When our season close? Feb 15th?

Well I live in Corrales, one practice in Rio Rancho and one on the west side of Albuquerque. I was just visiting some friends in Carlsbad, I think thats only the second time I have ever been down there. Go Wildcats!

went out this afternoon on a spur of the moment hunt. My two setters are still figuring things out. This time they worked a long way away and bumped a big covey of 50 or so blues so I didn't get a shot. Not sure what to do but keep hunting, hopefully they will realize its a lot funner when we shoot birds not flush birds. One unique thing about this hunt is I saw another person, they weren't hunting just drove by on a gravel road....not used to crowds!

Last edited:
I used to go up to Clay Center with the Security Police Chief and his First Sergeant and we hunted pheasants there. Those were the good old days...lots of birds including quail and prairie chickens.

I used to hunt around that area about 8-10 years ago, west of Clay Center around Longford, and it still had lots of birds. One of the coolest places I've hunted in Kansas. On the edge of the flint hills, and in some fields we would shoot all 3 species. Really miss that ground we had permission on.

Back