I finally made it out (also, how should i pluck a pheasant?)

Well, my uncles, brother and i finally made it to Yuma County today for the first time this season. My uncles each got one and i got one, my brother got a shot, but no connection. It definitely wasn't the worst day i've ever seen, but nothing like it was 2 and 3 years ago.
(i blinked, and my dog wasn't looking. oh well.)
DSCN9937_zps0004d217.jpg

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on plucking a pheasant? i haven't done it yet, but i'd really like to try it at least once.

plucking

Well, my uncles, brother and i finally made it to Yuma County today for the first time this season. My uncles each got one and i got one, my brother got a shot, but no connection. It definitely wasn't the worst day i've ever seen, but nothing like it was 2 and 3 years ago.
(i blinked, and my dog wasn't looking. oh well.)
DSCN9937_zps0004d217.jpg

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on plucking a pheasant? i haven't done it yet, but i'd really like to try it at least once.
there have been a number of post of this. if you gently pull the feathers as soon as you shoot the bird you can do the job in under 5 min. if the bird get cold, you are in trouble. do it in the field as you are walking hoping for the next shot

cheers

If you haven't already plucked the bird it's too late. Pheasants have a very thin skin and plucking them is difficult without ripping the skin. Like mustistuff said, doing it immediately after shooting the bird is your best bet. I've never tried scolding them like you would a chicken but then I haven't plucked a pheasant in over 50 years. I skin them all. I'm sure others on this site will be able to lend some good advice.

plucking 11

If you haven't already plucked the bird it's too late. Pheasants have a very thin skin and plucking them is difficult without ripping the skin. Like mustistuff said, doing it immediately after shooting the bird is your best bet. I've never tried scolding them like you would a chicken but then I haven't plucked a pheasant in over 50 years. I skin them all. I'm sure others on this site will be able to lend some good advice.

i have had very poor luck with scolding, skin is too tender and it stinks to high heaven, i pick two or three a year just to try a different way of cooking them, they look kinda nice baked but surely have to be basted a lot cause of little to no fat.

Plucking them in the field leaves a mess and doesn't give the WIA or farmer a good impression. We have had farmers remove WIA's for cleaning birds and leaving trash in the field! There are far too few WIA's now!

plucking

B S to that one, you are off the wall, cleaning and leaving a gut pile next to the gate, i have seen but we are not talking about that. just how long do you think a couple handfuls of feathers are going to hang around, besides the bird was likely shot in the middle of the field anyway.

cheers

Come on guys! Let's get back to the original question. All the guy wanted was advice on plucking a pheasant. Now we are into gut piles in the field. I agree with not leaving a mess in the field but lets focus on the question at hand. OK?

Back