I Figured Out How To Get 12 Gauge Shells Into Nylon Belt

oscar

After many years, my old belt began to loose elasticity and was dropping shells. I bought another one and tried putting 12 gauge shells in it. These are made for 12/20 gauge and the 12's did not want to go. A friend spent a lot of time and energy and was able to force a few in.

I was going to come here and ask you guys what to do, but an idea popped into my head. You can put 20 gauge shells in fairly easy. I thought they might loosen it up and allow the 12's to fit. I was looking at in on the bench and another idea came to me. I used the crimped end of a 12 gauge shell on the primer end of a 20 gauge and pushed the 20 gauge out the bottom and seated the 12.

I am going to purchase another just for 20 gauge.

I'm sure the vast majority of us use a vest with either pockets or shell loops. If you insist on using a shell belt I would buy a gauge specific leather one.

Good idea and it sounds like you got it figured out. I’ve tried to force shells into tight loops on a new vest and found it it was easier to do if I was wearing it.

As the weather is usually mild when I hunt in SD, I wear a light PF vest. It has very few loops and the pockets are small and not very deep. I often loose shells when going over or under fences, bending over, etc. Last year, I had shells in the pocket of my heavy coat and I fell when going over a fence. One of the people with me said the shells were flying out of my pockets like confetti. I don't like to put shells in my pants pocket as they pull my pants down. I found a belt under the vest and held in place by my suspenders was most useful.

As the weather is usually mild when I hunt in SD, I wear a light PF vest. It has very few loops and the pockets are small and not very deep. I often loose shells when going over or under fences, bending over, etc. Last year, I had shells in the pocket of my heavy coat and I fell when going over a fence. One of the people with me said the shells were flying out of my pockets like confetti. I don't like to put shells in my pants pocket as they pull my pants down. I found a belt under the vest and held in place by my suspenders was most useful.
Have you tried a strap vest? An old-school vest will do just as you stated - empty the pockets as you duck under a fence - unless those pockets are zipped or buttoned. A well fitting strap vest will not do that - moves with you rather than being draped on top of you.

The shell loops look great on the store shelf and I have tried them, but for me they were really not practical: The hassle of trying to re-load them in the truck, shells falling out in the field, trying to pull them out with gloves on... A good strap vest with pockets holds a lot more shells and they are easily filled and retrieved. But to each their own.

When I was a kid, I carried a box of shells, sometimes more and banged away at every rooster I saw, in range or not. Now that I’m older and have some self discipline, I only take 6 shells, two in the gun & four in a pocket. I shoot when I’m confident of a hit and some days only see a limit or less. When does someone need a bandolier for pheasants?

I have two of those I used for quail. one 12 and one a 20 that I stretched half to 16. I get hot pretty quick, so don't care for the old-style vests. I wear suspenders so a strap vest would wear into the shoulders by days end. So, I wore one of those shirts with the pouch in it and the belt. worked great. As a matter of fact, I have the shirt on in the profile pic. The shirts are to small for phez though. And outgrew both belts also..

Back