I decided I don't know squat about pheasant hunting!

Dog

I can honestly say that in the past three years in SD with my dog, I
have not shot one bird that my dog didn't point, flush, or find for me. Last fall hunting in a blizzard with 30mph wind and blowing snow out there, without my dog I come home empty handed. It's about the dog and the gun for me. I really don't factor in the equation all that much. The three years previous to owning a dog and hunting out there at a "resort" with their dogs, I tend not to count. Oh sure, it was fun, but not the same.

Grew up hunting with out dogs and always had luck. Then in my 20's a girlfriend gave me a Brittany. My world changed for the better. Girlfriend and that Brit are long gone now but having a good dog is the best hunting partner a guy can ask for. We hit fields with no plan just follow their nose. Of course I am way past the days of wanting to limit a solid point and flush is good enough for me.

I had this great Springer and my wife had a beagle. She kept insisting I take her Beagle with me and Priss pheasant hunting. One time I did. I pulled up to a nice quarter section, parked and the Beagle lets loose.......bawww....bawww.
..I'll bet there were at least 50 birds came up all over that field. That dog could put up birds without ever getting out of the truck. :eek:

I hope that I always learn something new. But I also hope that I never get really good at it. The adventure is in getting out of the truck and seeing vast expanses of grass/treelines/cattails, and having no idea what's actually waiting for you.

And next year I'll get to follow my own dog around. Words cannot describe how exited I am for that.

Back