Husband/Wife looking for SD Trip

dc240nt

My wifes first Pheasant hunt so I'd like to make it a decent trip. Looking at the Onida area because of all the walk in lands. Planning on the last week of Oct, 2 1/2 days hunting, 3 nights stay. Will take private land also if its reasonably priced. We're sticking to a budget so we can return later in the season. We have a great dog so we're covered there. Pretty much self sufficient except for a place to stay and hunting land. Any suggestions for a first timer to SD? Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations are greatly appreciated. Only thing set right now are the dates because my wife has to pull PTO hrs. Anything alse is open for changes/better ideas.

Onida hunt

Read your message about hunting the Onida area in October. Not familiar with that area, although I have hunted around Gettysburg several years ago.

While there may be walk in areas in the vacinity, do you have any connections in the area? What is the bird count for this area?

I am somewhat familiar with the Mobridge bird cound - way up from last year. That may be a possibility for you and your wife. My Mother-in-law lives thate and when we visited last spring we saw lots of birds - 20-25 in about an hour.

Good luck with your trip and have a safe hunt.

jon

I hadnt thought of Mobridge. Thank you, thats just what I'm looking for to get the wheels turning. Nope, no contacts near Onida, or Mobridge for that matter. And have no idea about counts near Onida but did see alot of birds during each of two trips thru the area this spring.

The area east of the Missouri River from Onida up to the ND border has some pretty good hunting. There is a lot of public land from Akaska up toward Eureka. During your first trip you may end up doing as much scouting as hunting but it will better prepare you for future hunts to the area. Selby might be a good central location to find a room. There are a couple of motels in Selby but I'd book early to insure a room. Here's the link to the city of Selby. http://www.selbysd.govoffice2.com/

I have hunted the area and done pretty good, we hunted Onida,Blunt and along Lake Oahe in the area. If you are looking for a place to stay try the Outpost Lodge, Pierre S.D. That is there mailing address there lodge is located at the cow creek swa. If you look on a S.D. atlas take hwy 1804 North from Pieere for 8-miles or so and you will come to the turn off to the Lodge. They have cabins that are priced right, and they have a restaurant right there, perhaps 20 yds from the cabins, gas, a little convience store and they sell hunting licenses. They have a little bar and dining area in the back, if you do not like to be around people drinking they have a dining area in the front as well. Just pull up The Outpost Lodge, Pierre South Dakota on the internet and you can see pictures of their lodging, restaurant and all. If you call talk to Marilyn and tell her Jim Gibson told you about their place. It woun't save you any money , heck you mention my name they may charge you more ( :, not really, just good people.

The bird population is up in the area........Akaska/Selby, SD If you are looking for the last week in Oct. i would have room for you....if this is the area you are wanting to target...drop me a PM on here and I will be happy to reply

Last edited by a moderator:
I stayed at a reasonable hotel in Faulkton SD, can't remember the name. Hunted all around there and Onaka and Sanaka areas. Found all private land there to hunt. It helps to get to know a couple locals at the pubs for a burger and soda. We may have been lucky but it has worked more then once. There are some nice land owners out there. We stoped and asked five or six times and all let us go. There was just two of us.

Thanks everyone. We've got it all figured out and its now just a waiting game.

Just curious. Where did you end up deciding to hunt and stay?

Back