Hunting report

We hunted last weekend and part of this week. We saw several birds and more hens than roosters. All private land that we have hunted for several years in center of State. No doubt the birds were down compared to last year but there were still good numbers. We limited 4 days and struggled one day. All crops were up as well so that made it a little tougher to get on the birds. We did not see many birds crossing roads or along side the highways where we normally see them on our daily drive to farm. Good luck guys and pray for more habitat!:)

Hunted from Eurica to Redfield the numbers are way down and very little corn off in the Northern part of the state. The Drive from Eurica to Redfield did not see one bird. The drive from Redfield to Watertown the same not one bird.

I was more westerly than you guys but alot of crops were coming down last weekend and into monday before the freezing rain started. I had my best luck hunting a piece of public next to a sunflower field that took 2 days to get harvested.

the numbers are way down and very little corn off

Nothing personal Harehound. I just am hearing this from everyone and all over the place.

I just don't think it is a fair assessment to ever say what numbers are when the crop is still all in or even partially in. It is very misleading.

I remember hunting opener in Iowa for many years and we would be all stoked up for opener and not a like of crop was harvested and those were some of the most suckiest days of pheasant hunting ever. And this was back in the day when Iowa rivaled South Dakota for bird numbers.

I like the way one of the GFP officials re-coined their brood survey to refer to "visual sightings" are down 64%.

Hunted from Eurica to Redfield the numbers are way down and very little corn off in the Northern part of the state. The Drive from Eurica to Redfield did not see one bird. The drive from Redfield to Watertown the same not one bird.

Agree. Our 4700 acres of previous private pheasant paradise saw at least a 70% reduction in numbers from last year. Toughest opening in the last 27 years. To say that the birds are the same or greater in numbers than the previous year is somewhat delusional or a selling job. BTW 3100 acres of corn was mostly picked or stripped.

some of the guys posting bird numbers up or about the same are not guides??? why would they try to get more hunters to there area??? they are just brag n but im sure pheasant numbers are not down or as bad in every inch of SD there had to be pockets of birds that did ok or good???

i seen it in MN this yr hunted a prime area wear we have seen loads of birds in years past & last yr was the best year my family ever did on opening day... this season was the very worst ever in our party same with at least 4-5 other groups of hunters we talked to... i went 10 miles away from that core area & tried some lands for pheasants & what do you know ive never seen more birds!!! its crazy how 10 miles 1 way or the other can produce birds & or not produce birds??? maybe its weather predator or what ever but i doubt all of SD is down or doom & gloom i feel i will still be able to find bird in SD if i found plenty in MN like TBEAR said...

some of the guys posting bird numbers up or about the same are not guides??? why would they try to get more hunters to there area??? they are just brag n but im sure pheasant numbers are not down or as bad in every inch of SD there had to be pockets of birds that did ok or good???

i seen it in MN this yr hunted a prime area wear we have seen loads of birds in years past & last yr was the best year my family ever did on opening day... this season was the very worst ever in our party same with at least 4-5 other groups of hunters we talked to... i went 10 miles away from that core area & tried some lands for pheasants & what do you know ive never seen more birds!!! its crazy how 10 miles 1 way or the other can produce birds & or not produce birds??? maybe its weather predator or what ever but i doubt all of SD is down or doom & gloom i feel i will still be able to find bird in SD if i found plenty in MN like TBEAR said...

I think you have the same passion I do, that's why I didn't let all the negative threads deter me. I went because I WANTED to, spent the money cause I WANTED to and made the 17hour one way drive cause I WANTED to! I'm a single guy with a Brittany and by no means rich or have high dollar shotguns but I'm glad I made the trip and will go back!!!

I think you have the same passion I do, that's why I didn't let all the negative threads deter me. I went because I WANTED to, spent the money cause I WANTED to and made the 17hour one way drive cause I WANTED to! I'm a single guy with a Brittany and by no means rich or have high dollar shotguns but I'm glad I made the trip and will go back!!!

If your single you have to be rich

yes dodgeboy we are in the same boat im heading out with my hunting dog & my big bulldogge no pricey shotgun or vehicle just a guy & his dogs going out to try & make my young dog a true hunting dog & get her on birds i want wild bird exposure for my dog & lots of it... all public lands & DIY hunts in SD for me not worried about finding birds i should be fine in SD if not i will move around little by little till i get on birds... there not all dead & gone i know that much...

Three of us hunted SE North Dakota and NE South Dakota from 10-27 to 10-31. Beans were about done, corn harvest stopped because of rain, mist ,foggy weather. we ended up with 32 birds hunting long days. farmers say birds are down and surprised with our numbers. hunted mostly public.

If your single you have to be rich

HA!----I did catch myself one afternoon standing in a prairie, overlooking the Missouri River, watching the dog work and didn't hear any cars going by, airplanes flying over or screaming kids, if that makes me rich than so be it.

A few Photos from the weekend.

1461122_10151963620306030_1347492412_n.jpg

1450939_10151963620326030_1485188366_n.jpg

1383961_10151963620076030_492155549_n.jpg

1452544_10151963620181030_75831652_n.jpg

1374904_10151963620461030_1574634100_n.jpg

HA!----I did catch myself one afternoon standing in a prairie, overlooking the Missouri River, watching the dog work and didn't hear any cars going by, airplanes flying over or screaming kids, if that makes me rich than so be it.

You are indeed rich.
Besides that, You'll be successful in your hunting trips forever. :)

Lazer, enjoyed the pics, thanks. :thumbsup:

Awesome. Yes, you are rich. :thumbsup:

Great pics

Thanks for the pictures. a group of 17 of us are heading to South Dakota to one of Uguidephesants camps in two weeks. Roscoe area. i will share your pictures with my boys. it will give them something to visualize on the 17 hour drive. Can't wait

Back