Hunting Pressure

westksbowhunter

I am heading to Iowa Nov. 22nd for 3 or 4 days in Kossuth County, Winnebago, Hancock Counties. Curious as to what to expect for pressure on public land compared to Kansas? The pressure in Kansas is unbearable for me and can't wait to get away.

Include the IHAP areas, they might not be as well known as the state owned acres...many IHAP have only been such for 5 years or so. I am sure you have found the guide showing those...I have seen one IHAP had been grazed, but 3 others I know of look great, I generally don't hunt them, but they do get hunted. It seems that hunting/hunters are on the decline locally. I am a little south & west of where you will be. Let us know how it goes for you.

Include the IHAP areas, they might not be as well known as the state owned acres...many IHAP have only been such for 5 years or so. I am sure you have found the guide showing those...I have seen one IHAP had been grazed, but 3 others I know of look great, I generally don't hunt them, but they do get hunted. It seems that hunting/hunters are on the decline locally. I am a little south & west of where you will be. Let us know how it goes for you.
I agree that the number of hunters has declined. I drove past 5 public areas yesterday and only saw one being hunted.

The younger people including my son have other outdoor interests that guys my age didn't even know existed. He and his friends rock and ice climb, ride mountain bikes and take weekend trips to do this. Then you throw in them having kids that seem to have some activity taking place on the weekends doesn't leave alot of time to chase birds.

You couple all of this with bird numbers being down for a number of years it created the perfect scenario for a decline in people wanting to hunt.

I actually thought that opening weekend was the craziest I've seen in 10 years where we were. Trucks at everywhere and people walking ditches everywhere. I think this time of year guys tend to hold off and do other things until that snow comes which congregates the birds into tighter areas, although tougher to hunt in my opinion without an army. On public a guy by himself can walk a lot of cattails to get a few to hold tight enough for a shot opportunity. Late season is some of the most fun hunting that can be had.

I kinda posted this in the other Iowa thread. I went for a three day weekend fri-sun the second week of season. There seemed to me to be a good number of pheasant hunters out. I know during a weekday it's a lot less crowded, but I don't usually have that option.

Pressure was crazy the first couple of weeks, there were Wednesday afternoon's where parking lots were full like it was opening weekend the first couple of weeks. Since then, it has slowed quite a bit. Seems many give up on public once the dumb of the year have been shot and killed. If you're willing to walk, even heavily pressured areas should produce birds. Good luck and give us an update on how you do!

We are in Iowa hunting the Storm Lake area since Monday and have yet to see any other hunters. Lots of signs(shell casings) but no other hunters

I have only tried to hunt public land on a weekend once. It was crazy. It was nice to see people getting out, but I couldn't find a place I felt comfortable hunting. Fortunately I have family ground in Nebraska to hunt during the weekends, this particular weekend was during rifle season and I didn't want to disturb the family members that were deer hunting. I rarely see anyone hunting public land during the week. The dogs and I have had a pretty good year so far.

I have only tried to hunt public land on a weekend once. It was crazy. It was nice to see people getting out, but I couldn't find a place I felt comfortable hunting. Fortunately I have family ground in Nebraska to hunt during the weekends, this particular weekend was during rifle season and I didn't want to disturb the family members that were deer hunting. I rarely see anyone hunting public land during the week. The dogs and I have had a pretty good year so far.
Tell those deer hunters to go elsewhere. Bird hunting always takes priority.

Back