Hunting Near Winner

cohunter84

Hello,

Does anyone know of private land in or around the winner area that the owner will let you access? If it is good land I don't mind paying, I just don't wanna see release birds. We are very respectful.

Thanks!

The Winner area has long been considered the pheasant center of SD. Pay-to-hunt started in southern SD, many years ago.

Late in the season you might find land-owners that would offer permission- after December 15th?

You can search hunting services on this site. Select the area you wish to hunt and several will appear.

Note: many of the hunting services require a minimum number of hunters...

Good luck and good hunting!

Hunting around Winner

Good luck finding any land worth hunting on and not having to pay trespass fees. We had a large group of 12 hunters that quit going to South Dakota in 2008 because of the ever increasing trespass fee. In 2008 we paid $75 day per hunter and the farmer was raising to $125. We told him we wouldn't come back and I think he thought we were kidding him. We moved to North Dakota and haven't looked back.

Oh and there are pen raised birds in Tripp County. They actaully release them in huge numbers during the begining of the season. Goes right on the residents property taxes.

Oh and there are pen raised birds in Tripp County. They actaully release them in huge numbers during the begining of the season. Goes right on the residents property taxes.

You need to explain yourself on this one. You are so far off base that your credibility is very questionable. Please don't post if you don't know for fact what you are talking about. If you don't like SD fine, stay in ND. The only thing you are right about is that trespass fees have risen. But don't blame that on SD residents. It's the "big bucks" from out of state that have driven them up. As long as someone is willing to pay the higher rates it's not going to change.

This is the first time I have heard of this idea and was wondering how they kept it so quiet all these years! Let's see some documentation!

As a county commissioner in a different county I am confident that when the minutes reported that we spent money on phesants and paid for them with tax dollars the phone would be ringing for quite some time.

You need to explain yourself on this one. You are so far off base that your credibility is very questionable. Please don't post if you don't know for fact what you are talking about. If you don't like SD fine, stay in ND. The only thing you are right about is that trespass fees have risen. But don't blame that on SD residents. It's the "big bucks" from out of state that have driven them up. As long as someone is willing to pay the higher rates it's not going to change.

Hey! Zeb, we don't need guys like that in ND either. :) LOL

Last edited:
Well a little late but I wanted to get a trip report out. We arrived just as the cold front did. Cold Cold weather and wind. Bird numbers we not as high as I expected however there were still quite a few bids. Every time I think I have hunting in south Dakota figured out I am wrong...

There were birds in the crops but there were a tremendous amount of birds in the grass. And they were holding tight. My lab pointed a pile of birds. In years past most the birds were in the crops and if you drove by the field they would flush. Not this year though. The last day we were there it was so cold my hunting partner never got out of the truck, and the safety on gun froze. All in all it was a great trip! You have to love spending time in South Dakota.

Well a little late but I wanted to get a trip report out. We arrived just as the cold front did. Cold Cold weather and wind. Bird numbers we not as high as I expected however there were still quite a few bids. Every time I think I have hunting in south Dakota figured out I am wrong...

There were birds in the crops but there were a tremendous amount of birds in the grass. And they were holding tight. My lab pointed a pile of birds. In years past most the birds were in the crops and if you drove by the field they would flush. Not this year though. The last day we were there it was so cold my hunting partner never got out of the truck, and the safety on gun froze. All in all it was a great trip! You have to love spending time in South Dakota.

i love cold weather, you dont have to be out long to shoot a limit!
-10 is just about right!:thumbsup:

Back