Hunting Montana

shinbone

Hi All,

I would post this in the Montana forum, but I think I might get more info from us Colorado hunters:

I moved to Colorado last year from the east coast. I've been doing lots of bird hunting with my 2.5 year old GSP. We have been having a good time. Here are some photos from my South Dakota trip in October:

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard312a/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=78074

In the spirit of adventure and exploring new ground, I have decided to go to eastern Montana over the Thanksgiving holiday to bird hunt. I've never hunted in Montana and so am pretty clueless on where to start. I am just gonna jump in with both feet and figure things out as I go.

Can anyone suggest a town with a decent hotel with good public access in the area? Not really looking for anyone's specific hunting spots, just a base for me to start exploring from each day. I was thinking maybe Baker, MT, would be a good choice?

Thanks.

--shinbone

The area you suggested would be a good bet. I hunt across the ND border not far from there. The problem you'll run into if you go much farther north is oil production. The oil industry companies book entire motels for a year in advance. Also, too many good dogs get run over by oil field traffic going 70 mph down dirt roads. The area you suggested should be about 60 miles south of that mess. Also, in case you're targeting huns and sharpies, you should know that you'll have a hard time getting within 200 yds of them this time of year. Pheasants should be good though.

Is that a 12 ga Beretta BL3 in the first of the gun pics in the link that you posted? I've got the 20 ga version of that gun. It's my favorite.

dpf - thanks for the info. Baker has a couple of hotels, so hopefully I can find a room at this late date.

I am not sure what the gun is in the photo. I thought it looked like a nice one and just snapped a photo. Bill had more than one nice shotgun he hunted with that week.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I would post this in the Montana forum, but I think I might get more info from us Colorado hunters:

I moved to Colorado last year from the east coast. I've been doing lots of bird hunting with my 2.5 year old GSP. We have been having a good time. Here are some photos from my South Dakota trip in October:

http://www.uplandjournal.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard312a/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=2;t=78074

In the spirit of adventure and exploring new ground, I have decided to go to eastern Montana over the Thanksgiving holiday to bird hunt. I've never hunted in Montana and so am pretty clueless on where to start. I am just gonna jump in with both feet and figure things out as I go.

Can anyone suggest a town with a decent hotel with good public access in the area? Not really looking for anyone's specific hunting spots, just a base for me to start exploring from each day. I was thinking maybe Baker, MT, would be a good choice?

Thanks.

--shinbone

Those are some OUTSTANDING PICS :coolpics::10sign::cheers:

Did you hunt in/around Platte, SD? My son and I are heading there tomorrow to hunt this weekend. We have access to some private land there. Staying at the Kings Inn. Looks like you are living the dream....take care, god bless and straight shooting.

Greg

Thanks!

We did hunt around the Platte area. Mostly private land where we found plenty of birds. I also hunted some public land where the bird numbers were thin, but still found some.

Thanks!

We did hunt around the Platte area. Mostly private land where we found plenty of birds. I also hunted some public land where the bird numbers were thin, but still found some.

Was that this year?

Greg

shinbone, let me know how you do in Montana. I've been wanting to head in tht direction myself. Although I would probably go in September for Sharpies and Huns. I know a guy from NSTRA that lives near Savage, MT which is north of Baker. Check out the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks web site. Montana has a lot of public hunting land in something called block management areas. One of our members, mnmthunting, hunts out there and can maybe give you some insight. Good luck.

retrvrman - yes

Dakotazeb - I will certainly post a report and photos when I get back. And, thanks for the info about Block Management Areas. I will look it up.

BTW, can anyone comment on hunting out of Glendive? It is about the same drive time for me as Baker but is a little farther north, which, I am thinking, may mean more birds?

Last edited:
Shinbone. If you have the time check the Coffee Creek BLOCK management area in Montana. It has a ton of land to hunt, just not sure how it has been. I know my parents said they flushed 6 on sunday but they were a long way out.
I hunted it a lot as I grew up in Great Falls and most of my family still live there.

The area is part of Pheasants Forever and the State program. Located somewhat central, though it is a LARGE state =)

I lost track of what is part of it now but it is about 1200-2000 acres. I think 800 PH and 1200 State land.

Have a great trip the weather looks like it will be mild.

Grew up in Great Falls, huh? Awesome!!! Me too!! :cheers: Sure do miss Montana for sure!!

Please let us know how your hunt goes in Montana!!! :thumbsup:

Looks like I may be changing my game plan for the Thanksgiving weekend. I got some on-the-ground info from a Montana local through a generous fellow forumer that current conditions in Montana may not warrant the 10-hour drive. It is probably a better strategy in general to be hunting Montana earlier in the season than the last week of November.

I may just do day trips from Denver, trying my luck to find local pheasants and maybe quail. If so, I expect to do lots of walking and not much shooting, but at least I will be out exploring and running my dog.

Last edited:
Grew up in Great Falls, huh? Awesome!!! Me too!! :cheers: Sure do miss Montana for sure!!

Please let us know how your hunt goes in Montana!!! :thumbsup:

Hunter1971
Nice!!! My wife is from Eureka. Lucky I still have a lot of family up there so can go home to hunt with them when I want.

Did you go to school in Great Falls? I have a feeling we may have crossed path's with the 71' aspect.

Last edited:
Hunter1971
Nice!!! My wife is from Eureka. Lucky I still have a lot of family up there so can go home to hunt with them when I want.

Did graduate HS there.

No, my parents ripped me out of Great Falls and moved us to Utah so my Dad could work for Hill Air Force Base. They did this to me a month before I turned 12! :mad: Still upsets me! Dad used to run the old Gus and Jacks Tire shop if you remember that place?

I still have quite a bit of family left up there too, but they mostly just hunt big game. It's been a while since I have visited Great Falls, but the last time I was up there me and my cousin went out to me and my Dads old haunts by the Hutterites property and I couldn't believe all the Huns and Pheasants we saw. They really rebounded from the 80's.

I really miss Montana!! Some day I'll make it back there. I sure hope so.

Hunter1971,
Makes sense and I do recall the Gus and Jacks tire store :cheers:

My folks told me last Sunday they flushed 6 really fat one but they jumped the river so no luck on the shot. I agree it seems the population is coming back but I guess only in certain areas.

Out by Dutton (farm) it is hit and miss it seems talking with the family.

Bkew,

I have some extended family in Dutton as well. It's good to hear from someone that used to live in Great Falls and knows some of the old areas to chase birds!! That's cool. :cheers:

Sorry for jumping on the original thread!

Shinbone, Couple things, Baker Montana is about as OIL as it gets. LOTS of oil workers, wells, truck traffic etc.
I wouldn't plan a upland hunt there, or any other type hunt, it's NUTZ:eek:

If you want to pm me about a hunt I'd be happy to help out.

Totally enjoyed the pics!:thumbsup:

Back