Hunting in the hurricane

Bob Peters

A few years ago I hunted in a gale so strong it was blowing the fire hydrants over. That was a 40 minute hunt at sunset, we didn't see a bird.

Fast forward to yesterday and it wasn't that bad, but prolly 25mph sustained winds. Add that to things being dry as a bone and it was tough. The first spot I saw three roosters flush wild. A couple minutes later I looked for my buddy, then back in front and there was a big 'ole rooster! Never heard a wing beat on him! He might have cackled for all I know. All I could hear was wind. I knocked a few feathers off and away he went. Walking back to the trucks I wondered why my buddy's flashers were on. I had to get within about 30 yards till I could hear the horn honking, the wind had set off his car alarm.

Once I saw on youtube, this wildman who hunts with a spaniel in sodak. The prairie wind was whipping, and he got behind a mature tree line to hunt. Pheasants don't want to be out in the wind he said. We moved over to a treeline and hunted the calm side, and flushed 3 roosters in range there. That was a good tip.

Hunting in extreme wind is really tough, but you can still do it. The retired guys or people who bird hunt out their back door can probably pick their days. At this point for me I can't really do that, so I just go when I can.

I was hunting in SD up around Pierre about 8 or so years ago with a small group. We were doing our best to hunt into the 40+ mile an hour winds. When the birds got up into the wind they were only 10-12 yards out because they literally couldn’t hear us coming. I shot one and literally destroyed it so I made the decision I would wait till they gained a little altitude then swing and shoot them at forty mph as they went over my head. I got humbled a lot that day and there were many opportunities

High wind sucks. It often becomes more of a stock than a hunt. We have found high numbers of birds stockpiled together in rather small cover more than once in high winds. Often some roosters will just jump up into the brush and not fly (yes - wild birds). Those that get up are gone in a blink. Fun every once in a while.

Always cracks me up when a bird takes off in the wind, so fast, I don’t even try, just laugh. Reminds of getting buzzed by waterfowl going a million mph. And you just say welp, there goes some.

I usually have the ability to pick and choose which days I'm able to hunt, and I avoid windy days purposely. Not a big fan.

Obviously if you don't have that choice, you only go when you can.

Back