Hunting in the cold

Hanoverhunter

I'm sure this has been posted before, but I'll post it again. I was hoping to go out pheasant hunting tomorrow in the Minnesota by the Willmar area where the temp is suppose to be in the single digits and an even colder windchill. What are people's thoughts on when it is too cold to take the dog out. I have a lab who lives inside with the family. Does anyone use a neoprene vest to on their dog when they pheasant hunt? I'm looking for any tips or thoughts.

My lab kicks it into overdrive when the cold and snow comes and I guess I should ask the same question. The only thing I can gauge an answer on is based on a couple of different days of experience. On a couple of windy sub-zero days, the lab showed no signs of issues working the ground cover. I, on the other hand being above the cover could not hold up in the cold wind so the hunts ended.

Ruby is an indoor dog, but it's not unusual for her to stay outside and play in the cold and snow for a long time before she wants to come back. That also indicates to me that she could hunt for a good period in the cold.

I've hunted my Brittanys in sub-zero temps with wind chills of -30 or lower and never had a problem. I think the dogs are working hard enough to keep warm as long as they are in the field. But when we stop or move to another field they are in the back of my SUV where they have some heat and can warm up. I usually feed a little extra food when it's this cold and make sure they get plenty of fresh water.

Same as Zeb, No issues, in fact when there is more snow I don't like the vest because snow packs in it and turns to ice. I just stop once and a while to let the dog chew the snow and ice off the paws, or go to the car with the heat on till they get it worked out and get a drink. Other than that, they will stay warm till you quit moving. If they get wet, well maybe then in real cold weather I will take a break in the car to let them dry off. To avoid the ice in the feet there are boots, which my dogs hate, or you can hunt smaller spots and just hit more of them.

I just ordered some Musher's Secret to try on the dogs feet in the snow. Hope it will prevent the snow and ice from sticking to their paws.

http://www.musherssecret.net/

My take is that as long as the dog is moving they will generate enough body heat to keep themselves plenty warm. Labs have a fairly thick coat, even if they are kept indoors. But any breed if they are running will generate enough body heat to keep themselves warm. The problem may come if and when they are kenneled and are wet from the snow or water. If you keep them in the back of a pickup make sure they have adequate bedding and something to throw over the kennel to block the wind. I like those insulated kennel covers that are sold for just that purpose. You can get them in insulated or non insulated models.

The biggest problems I have seen deal with feet and belly's in cold weather.

Feet are generally fine unless there is salt on the roads which can do a number on them--or if the snow is crusted it can rip them up as well. Musher's secret works well for salt protection, some say it keeps snow balling problems down too--I wouldn't know as shorthairs don't have that problem.

I'll boot my dogs in crusted snow and in some conditions their feet can get irritated if the boots get wet--dogs won't usually complain until they stop.

Same thing with a protective vest. Work well until the hunt stops--if there's snow it seems like snow invariably gets under the vest--melts--and when the dog stops hunting they don't like that one bit. Mine will whine until I take the vest off. It's apparently VERY cold to them at that time. Interestingly enough it won't bother them while hunting at all most of the time, it's when they stop.

I do worry about my shortairs after the hunt--don't like to put them in a cold kennel wet. Try to rotate them in the cab of the truck until they dry off, and in real cold weather I may only bring one dog. Have a topper and insulated covers for the kennels but still worry, probably more than I need to but my dogs are part of the family.

Last edited:
This morning might be an indicator for my lab. Temps are around -10 and I could tell that the cold was affecting Ruby's paws when I let her out to pee.

Even though It's colder temps make sure to stay hydrated and to make sure that your dog stays hydrated as well...

As long as you keep water and a good diet in them they will be just fine... I have wiems and I have hunted with them when the actual temp is below zero... I do put a neopreme vest on them.... But I use that almost all season

As long as you keep water and a good diet in them they will be just fine... I have wiems and I have hunted with them when the actual temp is below zero... I do put a neopreme vest on them.... But I use that almost all season

What vest do you use? I can't find one that fits properly, they are all for broader dogs such as a lab.

This is a follow up on the Musher's Secret. I've only used it one time and it seemed to work well for a while. Either I need to apply more to start with or you probably need to re-apply every hour or so. I'll let you know after I use it some more.

Back