Hunting in rain?

Kre

I'm heading out on Saturday. It looks like Sunday could have a little rain.

I always come out late and usually hunt in snow, but never rain. I won't hunt in a downpour, but I will in light rain or drizzle.

What do you different when it rains? Any tips?

I've done it...I'm sure I'll do it again. Won't do it in a downpour of course, but I won't stop hunting if it starts drizzling. How cold and windy can be a factor too-nothing worse than being miserable cold AND wet!

I'll hunt in light snow but don't mess around with it if it's raining. Call my jaded in my old age...

I've hunted in all types of rain from mist to downpour. Can't say I ever did very well under any of those conditions. The birds sure don't seem to want to fly IF you can find them.

Do I still do it? Yeah. You can't get any sitting in front of the fireplace or TV. After all, I'm out there to hunt. :) Dogs never seem to mind anyway.

Last edited:
AFTER a rain is one of my favorite times to hunt. The roosters will leave the trees (or whatever they were using to stay dry) & find the lightest cover they can to dry off (yet heavy enough to stay warm & protected if necessary). And they'll minimize their time feeding due to the mud. They don't like muddy feet any more than I do. And....scenting conditions can be phenomenal!

Last edited:
I've had several absolutely miserable hunts in the rain and wind so I wait until I get better conditions now.

Two things:

1. Keep your gun tilted down, not up
2. Use your dust cutter as a chill buster

Good luck!

Back