Hunting conditions and bird counts

goldenboy

I am heading out to Steele this Wednesday to hunt Thursday through Sunday. Anybody hunting in the middle of the state? What are you finding for birds? I have heard that the crops are still in the fields. What about snow depths? This is late in the year and I like to chase late season birds because the water is froze and you can get to more area's. Any reports or advise would be greatly appreciated!

BRITTMAN

Snow depths 4 - 12 inches. Wind creates areas of no snow and large drifts. ND warmed up a bit after the multi-week deep freeze of early November. Some sloughs actually reopened (water vs. ice).

As of November 24th: Corn harvested was 30 percent (>90 is average). Just depends on the area you choose to visit I suppose. Sunflowers not much better.

zoops

Snow depths 4 - 12 inches. Wind creates areas of no snow and large drifts. ND warmed up a bit after the multi-week deep freeze of early November. Some sloughs actually reopened (water vs. ice).

As of November 24th: Corn harvested was 30 percent (>90 is average). Just depends on the area you choose to visit I suppose. Sunflowers not much better.
It is incredible how much standing corn there is in the central part of the state. I would bet some counties are 90% from what I've seen. Even good chunks of soybeans left in some areas. I would bet most of it will not be cut before pheasant season is over now that we have snow. One farmer I know who is 55 said this is the first time ever he's not gotten all of his crop out and he doesn't even do corn or sunflowers.