Hunting around Salem

Stickbow

I was just wondering how the hunting was around Salem between Mitchell and Sioux Falls. The reason I ask is I'm coming all the way from Wisconsin just to hunt the weekend and didn't want to drive all the way to Huron where I hunted a couple weeks ago if I could find Birds closer to home. Salem look to have a good amount of WPA and crep land. I know I can get on birds near Huron but if I don't need to drive the extra distance, why do it? Any help or info you can give me is appreciated. It's just going to be me and my dog, couldn't find anyone else crazy enough to drive 16 hours for about 10 hours of hunting.

I haven't actually hunted the Salem area for a couple of years, but I have a friend who has a farm west of Salem and in talking to him a week ago he said the birds were really down at his place. Not sure if that is a true indication of numbers in that area or not. If you have places to hunt that has produced birds in the Huron area I'd drive the extra 80 miles rather than spend your 10 hours of hunting in an unfamiliar area.

I'll agree with the above post, while I haven't hunted near Salem or Huron this year, if you know of a spot with birds you might as well drive the extra 90 minutes or whatever it is. For how much time you are putting in already to get there, that final bit isn't much. Or arrive near Salem at 10am and hunt your way to Huron, that way you get both spots.

I just got back from my weekend hunt. I decided to go straight to Huron and hunt the same areas I hit a couple weeks ago. I was amazed at the number of hens that I put up each day. I'm guessing 30 to 40, wish there were a couple roosters with them. Ended up shooting two roosters each day. Me and the dogs still had a great time and the drive was well worth it.

Back