Hunt Wounded

BritChaser

Does anyone else have a hunt wounded dog?

Last edited:
I'm assuming he's talking about a dog that will hunt and track wounded game/birds. I seriously doubt anyone has a dog along just for that purpose, but who knows. Some dogs just seem to excel at it better than others. Dogs can be trained to do it with a lot of practice and repetition in the field. I use the command "dead bird" with my Brittany and she immediately puts her nose to the ground and starts trying to pick up scent. Doesn't always find them but she is pretty good at it.

Is the dog wounded? Or the bird? The answer will make all the difference!

I do train for a "hunt dead" which is misleading because I doubt every bird I knock down will be dead. It should be called "look around for that bird I think I hit hard enough then retrieve it." But that's a mouthful for me and the dog, and only one of us needs a mouthful in that situation :D

I think Mark is talking about a dog with a dissability. Up until a couple of years ago I hunted a dog who was hearing impaired caused by my carelessness in the blind. Marks dog has his own dissability.
I'm curious if anyone on here hunts a dog with epilepsy and how they handle it.

JP got a piece of bullrush about as big as a pencil up the ol' pecker during a hunt a few years back that still gives him problems sometimes. I would also trust him completely to blood trail a deer or hog if I ever needed him to, so yeah.

JP got a piece of bullrush about as big as a pencil up the ol' pecker during a hunt a few years back that still gives him problems sometimes.

That's hunt wounded in my book! ;)

My Golden, Max has had bouts of epilepsy. They usually last 2-3 minutes and can occur anytime. He has not had an episode while hunting...

Perhaps a different title to this thread would have made it easier to understand what the OP was talking about. Or some kind of description of the issue the OP is having with his dog. "Hunt Wounded" really leaves a lot for imagination. As you can see, myself and others thought he was talking about a dog hunting a wounded bird.

Back