Hunt Planning

beaglebob1

I am planning a 4 day hunt in Oklahoma this season. I have never been to the state but hunting Oklahoma has always been on my list.
Any suggestions or tips would be most welcome.:thumbsup::cheers:

Hey Bob,

Got room for one more on your trip? I can bring Lucka up and you can see how she's progressed.

Hey Bob,

Got room for one more on your trip? I can bring Lucka up and you can see how she's progressed.

You got it buddy!! How are you ?
This is a good time of the year to put a plan in place.:thumbsup:

plan on booting your dogs most places you go. if you go early fall, snakes can be an issue as well. have fun.....

plan on booting your dogs most places you go. if you go early fall, snakes can be an issue as well. have fun.....

Looking at late Nov early Dec. Thanks for the info on the boots. Mainly looking at quail hunting.

Sounds great Bob! I've already got boots and the dog is getting the snakebite vaccination in the next few weeks.

if you want quail then packsaddle is the place to go ,you can print a map from the wildlife dept....let me know if yo have any ?

Thanks for tip! Always a chance going that far to hunt or fish.
I live 40 miles east of Cincinnati. ;):thumbsup:

Hate to rain on your parade, but if you're planning on hunting extreme western OK (Packsaddle WMA and Black Kettle WMA-both of which can be good), I would recommend you keep an eye on the drought situation over the summer.

Things can change, but right now they are experiencing exceptional drought. Hardly received any rain this spring. Heading into the summer, it looks bad. Real bad. If it changes and they have a normal summer (moisture/temp), things could be alright. If they continue on the current trend, save your gas.

Might be a "save your gas" kind of year everywhere this year. The hatch doesn't look particularly bright in any of the major pheasant states.

Hate to rain on your parade, but if you're planning on hunting extreme western OK (Packsaddle WMA and Black Kettle WMA-both of which can be good), I would recommend you keep an eye on the drought situation over the summer.

Things can change, but right now they are experiencing exceptional drought. Hardly received any rain this spring. Heading into the summer, it looks bad. Real bad. If it changes and they have a normal summer (moisture/temp), things could be alright. If they continue on the current trend, save your gas.

AKP hit the nail on the head. The new Drought Monitor for the US will be posted on 14 July. Take a good look, TX and OK is burning up and KS going to be just as bad. We are at 48 Days above 100's last month average temp was 104. Normally 91-93 degrees. I have seen some successful hatches, but do not see them making it. Heck the crickets and bugs are havin too carring canteens this year.

Back