Hows it look in east MT

The Winter of 2010-2011 was hard on the deer and antelope. Some areas had entire herds of antelope Winter killed. Was especially hard on the Mule Deer, numbers are still way down but rebounding after a couple normal Winters.
White Tails were hit hard by the blue tongue epidemic. [EHD]

My next MT trip probably wont be until Sept. Watching the weather I'll leave spur of the moment. Not hot and not wet out there I'm gone.
Hopefully early Sept, grouse and Huns. :thumbsup:

I have a 4 year old Lab that knows how its done and a 1 year old Britt that is coming along very well. Gonna be fun!:cheers:

thinking out loud

I have hunted eastern MT for about 10-12 years.I have a gun shop here in MN,so I go the 2nd week of Sept, so I can be back to work for our grouse opener.The last two years didn't sound that good with to much rain 2 yrs ago and dry last year.But we did well both years.The heavy moisture this year sounds good but I imagine if a lot of small grains don't get in the ground the birds will be scattered.

There are a lot of fields with water standing in the low areas. These low areas most will dry up and then the weeds grow.
It's not unusual for late grain planting then standing grain the first weeks of the pheasant season. Look for a lot of standing grain this Fall during the early part of the season.

That's sounds good as long as they get it in the ground,it will grow:)Thanks for the input.I hate to say this(the summers short enough the way it is)but I cant wait for early sept in MT!!!!

So do you think they will have cut any crops by Sept 1 for sharptail season?

Also has anyone camped or know about the campground in Baker , the one on the lake. I saw it online but there is no info just a picture and it looks like a nice spot to set up for a week or two.

I don't think they had as much Spring rain in the Baker area?
The Winter wheat is doing great so are the peas, those crops will be out well before the 1st.
There are some real nice camping spots in the Custer National Forest.
I spent a night at that campground with the lake and fishing by Baker, there are lots of nice campsites with tables, fire pits, clean pit type toilets.
I was there in late April passing through, saw the site on my BLM map pulled in spent the night. Quiet, I was the only one there all night. Probably busier during the hunting seasons.

Last edited:
Thanks, I saw that campground and thought it would be nice for the wife if she dosent want to hunt some days she could stay at the camper. I hope they have room in Sept. I have never seen many hunters in Sept its not like pheasant season. I usually camp up in Circle but the campground is bare bones, it is also only 10 a night and is great for just me but she likes a view.

nice was there any turkeys gobbling over in the custer in april MNMThunting???
i assume you were over by the long pine unit over on the SD border???

ive stayed in that cabin in the custer national forest u can rent through the forest service east of ashland MT it was beautiful are game rich just no turkeys when i was there but i think they had some major fires sweep through the area last yr???

I was shed antler Hunting and camping in the Custer NF West and South West of Broadus. Very nice Ponderosa Pine hills. I saw and heard LOTS of turkeys.:thumbsup:

very nice shed antler you found there!!! didnt see any elk but i was out there in a 2 day april snow storm couldnt see very far...

never found a elk shed but did find a big horn sheep skull in NE only had 1 curl could not find the other side looked for 30 min plus but no dice...

good to hear the turkeys are coming back in that part of the custer NF mite have to make a trip back out there next spring??? them turkeys have not had it EZ the last 7-10 yrs out in that country...

I think most of the turkeys in that area hang out, flock up in the brush and Cottonwoods in the creek bottoms during the Fall and Winter. For shelter and access to the stack yards for easy food. Then as the snow melts they spread out in the hills.

Looking to head out that way this fall possibly for an early
Sept or mid Oct week of hunting. I hope it goes well for yo all out there.
Better than burning up like last fall anyways
;)

Back