Howdy from the California Foothils.

Calisdad

Hi Everyone. Just found this site looking for pheasant hunting opportunities. I live just west of Yosemite and we get to hunt valley and mountain quail in the Sierra foothills and occasionaly chase pheasant in the valley. I've had springers for 30 years now and have 3 now, including 2 brothers under 2 years old.

regards,
C-dad

Oh boy another cali boy and you run springers! Were gonna have to do some hunting together. West of yosemite, would that be Oakhurst or Mariposa? I'm down in the flat lands, Madera to be exact. I also am an avid mtn and valley quail hunter. We got on some good roosters in los banos last year and will probably be trying some nwr's in Sacramento this year. Welcome to uph and make sure to visit often.

Welcome to UPH, hope to see you around here often. Enjoy the forum.........Bob

Thanks guys.
QH actually I'm a bit farther north. Groveland, small town on 120. If you got into pheasant in Los Banos you did better than most. Pickins were slim. I was there at the opener and only saw a couple of roosters. I'll be heading up the valley myself this fall. Haven't decided exactly where.

Rocky my dad was from up your way. Said when the family moved from Owatona to Waseca they had to shut down the one room school house because his 7 sisters and 3 brothers and him took up most of the seats. ;)

Welcome Californian

Welcome to the site.

Ok I know groveland, we do a lot of fishing at bagbi and new melones. We are going over tioga in August to scout for a ptarmigan hunt. I've seen a good amount of pheasants down in planada and I'm trying to get permission to hunt some ranches there this year. Google richvale pheasant hunting area. My co worker used to harvest rice hay up there and says there's a good native population of birds. It's a long drive but have birds will travel is my moto.

QH where are you going to look for ptarmigan? Best of luck finding access near Palanda. Its all private land isn't it?

I plan to jump in the RV for a week or so and hit what areas I can in the upper valley. There's a link on DFG with harvest numbers but I can't find it at the moment. I did want to try going to the mecca called South Dakota (;) ) but I have a 6 month old pup that would do better if I spent more training time with him this year. He learns quickly so I'm happy with his progress so far.

My wife flew back to Iowa (twice) to bring back my brace of brothers. Trap took a 3rd and a 1st in the NAGDA events down in Porterville. I think he was more proud than I was.

Where did you get your dogs?

We are going over tioga pass to the eastern border of madera county to look for ptarmigan, somewhere around lee vining area above the tree line. If you look south east on a clear day you'll see that one bare peak that seems to hold snow year round, that is where we hope to find snow chickens.

I have found that for every 10 farmers I ask for permission I will get at least one yes, hopefully this holds true in planada.

I got my dog from a good old boy in Terra Bella, down near porterville. He will be 2 in September. My brother has a 7 month old pup we picked up in catheys valley. A couple mh's in both lines but nothing special, just good honest meat dogs.

In Sacramento colusa, delvan, gray lodge and sac nwr all offer good hunting, but I've also heard good things about the suisin marsh in the bay area.

Last edited:
Back