Howard Vincent retiring from PF

A VERY small number of people on this site have said 100% negative things about PF. A slightly larger number think PF "walks on water" and can do no wrong. A majority of Ultimatepheasanthunting.com forum members support the mission and idea behind PF*, wish it success, but at the same time some have called out issues with the organization. Are we allowed to recount stories where a chapters land acquisition idea was turned down by the regional rep because it was "small potatoes" (50acres) and wouldn't cover corporate overhead? Can we bring up instances of sales ideas to raise money for wildlife habitat were turned down because the money was raised by Pro Pheasants and not Pheasants Forever? A board provides oversight of a business, members of a nonprofit have a a right to oversight over everything(in my opinion). Can't we still support an organization and its core mission while calling to light things it does that we disagree with? Don't be thin skinned, learn to take constructive criticism. We can support an organization and at the same time discuss its flaws in order to make it better and keep it honest.

I do think more forum members might see things your way BB, if they weren't....lacking the polish of urban society: unsophisticated...ah yes, provincial, that's the word I'm looking for. But I don't want to paint them with a broad brush....

*my personal opinion
Good points; I suspect that most of those here who are quick to complain and/or criticize aren’t members…maybe I’m wrong. Hope so.

Also just so everyone here who has mentioned seeing the PF signs next to a private property sign, any Tom, Dick and Harry can buy them and they mean absolutely nothing other than they are advertising for PF

30-35 years ago?? Yes I'm sure they were for sale just about everywhere.
PF is "The Habitat Oaganization". It is going to be hard to keep the deer out and they are fine with ducks to bucks and any other wildlife that wants to take refuge in the habitat created. Just curious, what habitat was created that held deer and not pheasants? Where I am, if PF wasn't improving private land habitat, they wouldn't have much to do, very little state owned land here. If they create some cover, the birds will find it and propagate. They will spread to any other suitable cover available, maybe even to somewhere where you can hunt them. B-B can express PF's mission much better than myself, so...what B-B said goes double for me!
Oak trees, apple trees, ponds and alfalfa food plots in the middle of deciduous woodlots don't sound like habitat that a pheasant is seeking out. Especially when there are over a thousand acres of great habitat in large and small chunks within a mile or two owned by the state. They did plant some coniferous trees but the deer and rabbits pretty much wiped them out. The point is that at the time, a lot of people were upset that the money raised at banquets and such, surely looked like it was going to private pet projects instead of a more useful and publicly available needs. End of the story. Local chapter ended. I was a teenager. It was all I knew of PF. It took a couple years but eventually I "came back" to PF. I never stopped supporting the same mission they had.

BB I agree with you on everything you're saying about "what can you do to help?' If you don't have $35 to spare or don't think that's money well spent, pick up some slobs trash off the road. Doing something as minor as that is at least doing something other than complaining.

This whole thread was about an important leader of a group, that we all share a common interest in, retiring. It turns into a mess of BS that only divides us away from that common interest. This is what we've become? I got to think were better than that.

I love the idea of PF but putting money in places like Wisconsin that has very little in the way of wild pheasant hunting left is a waste! I say put the the money in the strongholds that still remain , guys that love ringnecks will travel to find them.
I agree. Wisconsin is not pheasant habitat. Its prime deer and turkey habitat though. Western Wisconsin arguably has the best deer habitat in the country. Stop trying to turn it into a pheasant haven when its already ideal for other game.

On many things, we just don't have the entire story or know the details of the situations and are qiuick to make a judgement. Maybe on the land acquisition, the chapters involved were already focued on or made a commitment to a different project, who knows the real reason they didn't get involved.

Moonster, The local chapters of PF in WIsconsin have the say on where the money goes that they raised locally from the local contributors. I would really understand them spending it locally. They could donate it to the Call of the Upalnds if they chose to....and they like will with some. That might be a slippery slope and they really need to figure out what their members there would prefer. Maybe just more youth awareness programs and legislative support...the local chapter that raise the money, choose where it goes. I am guessing you must be from Wisc, get on the board of your local chapter and suggest they and the surrounding PF chapters send their money to South Dakota, let us know how that goes over, see if they pack their suitcases or yours. I will assume they will keep trying to create habitat locally, pheasants or no pheasants, that is what it is about.

Back