How well did the birds hold up this winter

Scott5019

Just wondering how well the birds held up this winter. I know from watching the weather, the Dakotas had a very cold, snowy winter. Here in Michigan we had plenty of snow and cold but nothing like the sub-zero temps that you experienced.

It looks like we are in for a break in the weather later this week. Hopefully this spring won't be too wet and cold. Looking forward to getting back out there this fall.

Scott

Scott, just NE SD had snot issues. Southern part of sate hardly had any snow on ground all winter and temps weren't too bad either.

There was just a storm that came through that coated most of state with 5 inches of heavy snow but hopefully that will be gone with the warm up.

Still time for another storm though. It's tourney time.

We farm just south of Aberdeen, South Dakota. We have had a fair amount of snow but I don't think it hunt the pheasant population much. We just got 10inches last thursday but looks like the majority of that will be gone by tomorrow. I'm sure we lost a few birds but still see plenty around.

Thanks for the replies. That's good news to hear that the winter hasn't been too harsh on the birds. I know a guy in Madison was telling me how cold and snowy it was this year. Sure goes to show just how important the winter cover/food is for the birds.

Thanks again,
Scott

I just talked to the owner of our Aberdeen North Pheasant camp and he states that the birds have faired well so far this winter and barring any major weather issue from here on out the herd should be in good shape. A good nesting season will certainly help as well. With the down Ag economy and increased CRP rates I know some of the resident farmers and strongly incented to re-enroll CRP.

Some numbers for you: Land currently expiring at $36/acre can be re-enrolled at $70/acre. Very competitive for that area.

Back