How was it?

I've been lucky, too, I guess. My Kansas hunts have been very good this year. I've only hunted a couple fields where I didn't at least see birds, and I have had a couple hunts of a lifetime. I've done better for pheasant than quail, though, I must admit, which is the opposite of how I've done the last couple years. Seems to me like quail overall are down in Kansas from the last couple years. I do hunt with labs though, which probably explains a lot of it. They do well on scenting covies, but are pretty spotty on chasing singles. Nails on pheasant though. In Kansas, just about every dog becomes a flushing dog on pheasants, especially after Thanksgiving. That, and I've been hunting further west than I used to.

There's a couple of crybabies on these forums though, that will accuse you of lying if you do better than them. I don't see much need of giving positive reports just to listen to the ankle-biters yowl and holler.

I've been lucky, too, I guess. My Kansas hunts have been very good this year. I've only hunted a couple fields where I didn't at least see birds, and I have had a couple hunts of a lifetime. I've done better for pheasant than quail, though, I must admit, which is the opposite of how I've done the last couple years. Seems to me like quail overall are down in Kansas from the last couple years. I do hunt with labs though, which probably explains a lot of it. They do well on scenting covies, but are pretty spotty on chasing singles. Nails on pheasant though. In Kansas, just about every dog becomes a flushing dog on pheasants, especially after Thanksgiving. That, and I've been hunting further west than I used to.

There's a couple of crybabies on these forums though, that will accuse you of lying if you do better than them. I don't see much need of giving positive reports just to listen to the ankle-biters yowl and holler.

That's the spirit! Calling the guys who didn't have as successful of hunts as you "crybabies," "ankle-biters," and liars. Way to go man! You tell them!

The reports from Kansas this year are easy to summarize... Birds are spotty. There are areas where the numbers are real solid, areas where it looks like there should be tons of birds but no birds are there. That's Kansas this year. That doesn't make guys who had unproductive trips, bad hunters, or lazy, or any other barb you want to throw at them. I have had some decent hunts this year and some pretty mediocre ones. I don't think anyone is coming on here and flat out lying about their success.

That's the spirit! Calling the guys who didn't have as successful of hunts as you "crybabies," "ankle-biters," and liars. Way to go man! You tell them!

The reports from Kansas this year are easy to summarize... Birds are spotty. There are areas where the numbers are real solid, areas where it looks like there should be tons of birds but no birds are there. That's Kansas this year. That doesn't make guys who had unproductive trips, bad hunters, or lazy, or any other barb you want to throw at them. I have had some decent hunts this year and some pretty mediocre ones. I don't think anyone is coming on here and flat out lying about their success.

Reread for comprehension.

I’ve been hunting Kansas since the late 90’s. ( non resident) I’ve seen good years and bad years for both pheasants and quail. One of the things I’ve noticed recently on this forum is that 95% of the information is very helpful and 5% negative. I’d like to thank the people on here that offer helpful information, not necessarily where to go but just positive information. To the doom and gloom, karma is a bitch.

IÂ’ve been hunting Kansas since the late 90Â’s. ( non resident) IÂ’ve seen good years and bad years for both pheasants and quail. One of the things IÂ’ve noticed recently on this forum is that 95% of the information is very helpful and 5% negative. IÂ’d like to thank the people on here that offer helpful information, not necessarily where to go but just positive information. To the doom and gloom, karma is a bitch.

I am not sure if I understand what your saying here. Are you suggesting that people posting reports that they haven't had success are negatives and therefore not helpful? That only posts about guys who shot birds are helpful?

I was referring to just everyday general positive information / stories, good hunt, bad hunt, kids first bird, drought conditions, etc...maybe I should have used the word positive not helpful. But when people start talking about ankle bitters, ( negative) it’s possible to end up with a leg full of chiggers. That’s karma

I did. You said people who you have worse luck than you are liars and crybabies. It seems pretty straightforward.

Try again:

There's a couple of crybabies on these forums though, that will accuse you of lying if you do better than them

It’s the opposite of what you are saying I said.

Last edited:
I was referring to just everyday general positive information / stories, good hunt, bad hunt, kids first bird, drought conditions, etc...maybe I should have used the word positive not helpful. But when people start talking about ankle bitters, ( negative) it’s possible to end up with a leg full of chiggers. That’s karma

I’d be more worried about karma if I was calling a guy a liar all over the internet because he gave a positive report about some hunts he had and it made me jealous. If a man doesn’t want to be called an ankle biter, he should comport himself like a man, not a jealous little baby. I’m the kind of guy that likes to see other people do well, whether or not I am having any luck. I guess not everybody is. Like this guy (who posts here):

I knew it was only a matter of time before S. Davis would start his chirping. He likes to get on the upland boards and spew his diarrhea about all the KS birds he’s killing and inflate what he’s seeing to draw in the internet lurkers.

If that ain’t you, and you don’t act like that, don’t take it personal. If it is you, or you act like that, then you’re an ankle-biter and you ought to get yourself together. I consider that a positive piece of advice.

Last edited:
I’d be more worried about karma if I was calling a guy a liar all over the internet because he gave a positive report about some hunts he had and it made me jealous. If a man doesn’t want to be called an ankle biter, he should comport himself like a man, not a jealous little baby. I’m the kind of guy that likes to see other people do well, whether or not I am having any luck. I guess not everybody is. Like this guy (who posts here):

If that ain’t you, and you don’t act like that, don’t take it personal. If it is you, or you act like that, then you’re an ankle-biter and you ought to get yourself together. I consider that a positive piece of advice.

kids! please go to your room.....you are interrupting an adult conversation!

Where did the post about you chirping come from. I didn't see that in this thread. Maybe I missed it. Not trying to stir anything up, just curious. Glad you've had some success. I haven't been able to get out yet. Hopes aren't too high when i do, but still can't wait.

I figure I have killed around around 750 or so wild pheasants in Kansas during my lifetime. Some years since 2002 I am around 50 birds. 2008-2012 I hammered them. My goal is 25 this year, if I hit that it will be a great year based on what is available. I shoot very well and may lose one or two birds per season. Last year I failed to recover 1 bird and this year I have recovered all so far. I would set my goal higher but the numbers simply are not there. I am going to hunt a little harder near the Colorado border and see if that produces more numbers but there are just not birds like there were in 2015, 16, and 17. Bird numbers were down a little last year and are below that this year. It was a beautiful spring until May hit. 18 inches of rain in most counties out west will take its toll on the hatch. Any biologist will tell you that. I don't have a "jealousy" issue, at least on here. My dogs are top notch, my hunting ability is top notch, and I get out a lot. I will still kill a lot of pheasants, have some great hunts, and I will let some fly and just enjoy watching them flush. But that won't change how many birds are out there. I pray the numbers will return to what they were 10 years ago, but until then it is what it is.

Last edited:
I figure I have killed around around 750 or so wild pheasants in Kansas during my lifetime. Some years since 2002 I am around 50 birds. 2008-2012 I hammered them. My goal is 25 this year, if I hit that it will be a great year based on what is available. I shoot very well and may lose one or two birds per season. Last year I failed to recover 1 bird and this year I have recovered all so far. I would set my goal higher but the numbers simply are not there. I am going to hunt a little harder near the Colorado border and see if that produces more numbers but there are just not birds like there were in 2015, 16, and 17. Bird numbers were down a little last year and are below that this year. It was a beautiful spring until May hit. 18 inches of rain in most counties out west will take its toll on the hatch. Any biologist will tell you that. I don't have a "jealousy" issue, at least on here. My dogs are top notch, my hunting ability is top notch, and I get out a lot. I will still kill a lot of pheasants, have some great hunts, and I will let some fly and just enjoy watching them flush. But that won't change how many birds are out there. I pray the numbers will return to what they were 10 years ago, but until then it is what it is.

with all the CRP contracts soon to expire, i am nervous as to the future, regardless the weather.

Back