How was it?

Thanks for the tips. We've had pretty good success using one guy on the point of a corner and pushing to him. Still with 5, it's easy to go past them. May utilize the vehicle a little bit more. Never really thought of that.

JSMITH,

I prefer to hunt stubble on hot days. Morning, afternoon and evening. Plenty to eat and good ground cover they don't have to bury up in heavy cover when its warm like it was this weekend. JMO

Anytime is a good time to hunt weedy wheat. If its not too cold they will roost in it especially if there are tumble weeds in it. My favorite place to hunt.

Only ended up hittin two spots and both had standing crops still, milo and corn. Didnt see any birds or get get any good points. I'd like to think with some cooler weather and the crops out, things could've played out a little more favorably.

Anytime is a good time to hunt weedy wheat. If its not too cold they will roost in it especially if there are tumble weeds in it. My favorite place to hunt.
The best wheat stubble needs to be weedy with volunter wheat growing I’m it

Great pics indeed. We had a 2 am vomiting episode several years ago, also thanks to unlimited junk food and pop. Wasn't my kid so it is a great memory.

As for wheat stubble, we hunted some this year for the first time in many years. It produced a couple of birds, but the time invested seemed out of proportion to the productivity. 4 half mile walks yielded a total of 2 birds. The stubble we hunted was too "clean"--the volunteer wheat had been mostly killed off and there were not nearly enough kochia/tumbleweeds/sunflowers in it. About one such weed visible per half basketball court, maybe a little more on the edges.

I don’t know about any of you guys but it was very spotty where we were. Some areas had zero birds and some areas there was more than normal. It all seem to be related to where there had been heavy flooding rains. I talked to one farmer at church Sunday morning out where we hunt, and he said it’s the first time in his lifetime he never heard a shot on opening day- he is about 70. 10 miles away, We found a lot of birds.

Way too hot in Hill City: 80 on Saturday. Overall, few birds seen. Had some luck with quail. Maybe things will improve when the corn harvest is finished.

We hunted 6 days in Ness, Rooks and Graham Counties. Seemed super spotty with birds. Either none, or a bunch grouped up. Many quail to be had as well. Looking forward to a return trip.

Two guys, two dogs in Rooks Couny Friday and Saturday of second weekend. Amazing amount of cover. We killed and found 3 roosters Friday morning and missed two others. Only hunted in morning. Lots of quail and big, healthy coveys. I commented on one that it looked like a pond full of teal getting up. Saturday was almost all quail although we missed two roosters we should have had. Could use some moisture for dogs but overall we had great dog work.

We hunted 6 days in Ness, Rooks and Graham Counties. Seemed super spotty with birds. Either none, or a bunch grouped up. Many quail to be had as well. Looking forward to a return trip.

This has been my experience. Hunted western Kansas this weekend and flushed a couple hundred pheasants, usually in bunches of 10-20 in grass or uncut crops, though we did kick a few running singles (10-20/day) up out of cut milo and corn fields. Healthy, big quail covies. Other fields with identical cover were just dead.

Scenting conditions have been terrible. Dry, dusty, windy and warm.

I’m in Kansas now. Just got here today, my first time here. I only got to hunt a little, did not get here til noon. I agree with those that posted before, it is warm, dry and dusty. Only saw three pheasants today, none within shooting distance. But saw a bunch of quail. If the shooting was better I would have a few. The dog and I are going out tomorrow morning, then quitting when it warms up and then go back out for the last hour or so.

Hey guys, we are in KS right now. My 4th trip and am with couple buddies who have hunted here for over 30 years. Buddies have hunted all over the state over the years. Primarily south east until the last couple years. We are in north east KS and completely struck out today. Experienced dogs and good looking cover (walk in hunting). Looking for quail. Don’t need cities but is anyone finding many quail in north east, I don’t think there are many here? Thinking of moving to further west. Hearing good reports of quail across central and western KS. This isn’t my fist time. We don’t care to put the miles in, but any tips would be appreciated. I have never killed a pheasant so that would be a bonus but primarily after quail. Thanks to all.

Hey guys, we are in KS right now. My 4th trip and am with couple buddies who have hunted here for over 30 years. Buddies have hunted all over the state over the years. Primarily south east until the last couple years. We are in north east KS and completely struck out today. Experienced dogs and good looking cover (walk in hunting). Looking for quail. Don’t need cities but is anyone finding many quail in north east, I don’t think there are many here? Thinking of moving to further west. Hearing good reports of quail across central and western KS. This isn’t my fist time. We don’t care to put the miles in, but any tips would be appreciated. I have never killed a pheasant so that would be a bonus but primarily after quail. Thanks to all.
There are good numbers of quail in NEK.

Response to Quail guy. We hunted NE Kansas opening 4 days. We had great morning on Saturday ( 5 coveys in 3 hours) on WIHA. We hunted approximately 1 mile from WIHA on Saturday and found nothing. Hard to explain, same cover, feed, etc..... We moved west the next three days and struck out. Experienced dogs, looking for quail. We found a few pheasants and mostly roosters. Temps were up and down and the WIHA were not as good the further west we went. This was our 8th trip to the the area and by far the least amount of birds found. I am glad to hear some guys have done well. The WIHA habitat varied greatly from place to place.

Back