how to

ljckr

dont know if this has already been covered but how do you train a dog to jump up to the tailgate and load i drive an '06 4x4 tundra ,no lift on the truck just standard height.:confused:

ljckr

what kind of dog, how old? better be careful young dogs can get hurt jumping into the back of trucks:eek: you state no lift. i would be careful if you have young dogs. it is a great Question ,however ,I cant say Ive ever trained or had to train one of my dogs to jump into the back of my truck. but like i said ,young dogs, i lift into the back ,of my truck ,and put into a carreir.:)

Last edited:
Just remember, it[s not the jump up that hurts the dog, it's the jump down. They will learn to "load up" with the use of a treat. My GSP loads on his own, but I do not let him jump down. I catch is collar and rear end on the way down.

i have gwps one is 8 months old and the other is 5 months old and i know the 5 month old probably cant jump that high but i have seen the 8 month old jump that high in the pen everyday when we get home and i am very carefull of them jumping off the tailgate i also help them down.

I have seen dogs hurt and my own also jumping into a truck. They get muddy or wet and slip and fall. I won't let my dogs jump into the truck. I grab there collar and the other hand under there belly and lift. this also saves on the paint when they try to go over the side of the truck.

I use and ice chest as a step. Get them loading up onto the ice chest, then the tailgate. Wean them from the ice chest when you think they can make it. Just like the one armed guy who feeds the gators at the zoo says, one day they can't get up high enough, and then one day they can.

I will never let my dog jump into or out of my pickup or anyone elses at any time or for any reason. I have way to much time, energy, and money invested to have something happen to her just because I dont want to take the 4 seconds to bend over and pick her up. I have heard a few stories about dogs slipping on the tailgait, or being tired and mis-judging the height only to break a leg, a knee, a jaw. Not for me. In fact my dog is trained to do just the opposite, she sits and waits for me to pick her up and either set her in the pickup bed or the ground.

Back