How to Stop Rust

Labman

Living in Minnesota is very hard on vehicles. I have a 2000 Dodge pickup that is in very good condition, low miles, and have some rust that is forming on the very bottom of the front drivers side door. It has actually started taking off the paint. Is there any way to stop this from happening??? It's our best vehicle and I want it to stay nice looking. Any ideas on how to stop that rust. I wash it, wax it, but the salt is something else in this state.

Didn't you know Dodges have rust built into them...:D just kiddin

To be honest with ya and I'm no body shop person, but the only way may be to take it in and have the rust sanded off and door repainted. This of course if it is not rusted completely through.

The only way is to completely sand off the rust, have it primed and repainted. Believe it or not, spending $10 a week to go through a high quality car wash with a rust inhibitor and under-body wash does wonders for vehicles.

It's tough to hit the car wash during the winter here, especially this year. I like to hit the Fleet Farm car wash, touchless, but on very cold days like it's been, it's closed. I'm good about washing it, but hard to fight the salt.....

I'm with you guys though, I think it needs to be sanded down and repainted, but I don't have an extra 500 bucks to have that done right now.

Didn't you know Dodges have rust built into them...:D just kiddin

To be honest with ya and I'm no body shop person, but the only way may be to take it in and have the rust sanded off and door repainted. This of course if it is not rusted completely through.

That's funny about the Dodge having rust built into them, maybe it's true.......... I've always been a Ford guy, but this was a nice pickup and in the right price range. Hopefully my next truck is a full size, but this Dakota has been a good pickup. Got new tires on it recently, Firestone Destination A/T's, runs through the snow pretty well.

When I lived in MN and the Dakotas I always had to fight rust. But out here you would think with the salt air of ocean rust would be a problem. But it is not. Have your car/truck clear coated good and heavy. A few layers of good wax and they don't rust. I don't know how that would work in your area......Bob

How big of an area are you talking about? You can buy a sanding disk for any drill and sand it yourself. Make sure you buy the right Primer and prime it yourself. All you have left then is the paint cost. Just a suggestion.

Size of the area is probably 8-10 inches wide and at the very bottom of the door. It's just about to the point where if you standing there looking at your pickup from the side, it's going to start to show.

Wish I knew a good friend that had a bodyshop, then he could show me what to do, how to do it, and I would have no problem working on it. Thanks for the input guys.

That's funny about the Dodge having rust built into them, maybe it's true.......... I've always been a Ford guy, but this was a nice pickup and in the right price range. Hopefully my next truck is a full size, but this Dakota has been a good pickup. Got new tires on it recently, Firestone Destination A/T's, runs through the snow pretty well.

Speaking of Destination A/T's, they are on my short list for replacement tires along with Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors and Michelin LTX AT2's.

Good traction in snow are they? what about wear?

Speaking of Destination A/T's, they are on my short list for replacement tires along with Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors and Michelin LTX AT2's.

Good traction in snow are they? what about wear?

They have good traction in the snow, not so good on ice, but what tire is?
I really like them. They get really good reviews also.
I think they have a 50,000 mile tread wear warranty on them, which isn't very good in my opinion. I read in the reviews that the tire wear was faster than people would like, I only have about 6 thousand miles on them right now, so far, so good.

Labman, there was a guy that I bought something from on craigslist and he was admiring the rust on my Ford :) and he raved about a product he bought at local auto parts store that you brush on and it turns to rust to a balck primer and seals it and keeps from rusting further.

Naval Jelly is another thing I have used is past to halt rust but this other stuff looked better. Wish I could remember name but if you find out what it is report back here.

Good luck.

Back