How to stop playing with bumper?

sellersrobe

Hi guys, I've been training my dog which has been going pretty well. One issue that's come up, though, is him playing with the bumper on retrieval. He runs back to me with it, but then wants to shake it and play around with it instead of dropping it. I've tried trading it out with another toy or some good treats, but it seems the novelty of the bumper overpowers everything else. How can I get around this?

Hi guys, I've been training my dog which has been going pretty well. One issue that's come up, though, is him playing with the bumper on retrieval. He runs back to me with it, but then wants to shake it and play around with it instead of dropping it. I've tried trading it out with another toy or some good treats, but it seems the novelty of the bumper overpowers everything else. How can I get around this?
Give him a treat when he drops it.

Thank you guys. He's just about a year old - not purchased intending to be a gun dog, but I wanted to give it a shot. He's doing remarkably well with just about every other aspect of training, but presenting after retrieval is pretty abysmal.

Leash and HOLD
Thank you, working on the hold training now. He has a love-hate relationship with the bumper. When it's being thrown, he can't get enough, but once I'm doing the hold training, he is happiest when I tell him to release it. He isn't good enough with it yet to listen to the command when we're doing retrieving drills, since the hold training is brand new.

Thats good thing to a point, means he has high drive and wants the bumper.

A lot of ways to skin the cat, but you simply need a long lead (check cord) and to bring him all the way to your side after each retrieve. Sitting is even better, if you can manage to get him to do that without dropping it. Dropping it is the worst thing, dont let him get away with doing that as its hard to fix. You dont want him dropping a runner rooster at your feet in the field!

If he wants to drop when you do the check cord to heel, time to reinforce "hold". Youll shove an item (not a bumper or toy, i used pvc) in his mouth and tell him "hold". Reprimand when he drops, reward when he doesnt. Say "give" or your release command when you get your hand on the item and not before.

Lots of rewarding to make all this still fun, attention if he likes it or food if he is food driven.

Good luck!

Thank you, working on the hold training now. He has a love-hate relationship with the bumper. When it's being thrown, he can't get enough, but once I'm doing the hold training, he is happiest when I tell him to release it. He isn't good enough with it yet to listen to the command when we're doing retrieving drills, since the hold training is brand new.

When you are doing hold conditioning you are NOT to do any retrieving until you are all done and the dog understands it. Mine took a week, some dogs will take 2-3+ before they realize the have to pick up and hold the item until you say they can give it. 2-3 sessions a day, no retrieving until its set in his mind and he will hold anything you stick in his mouth without dropping it.

I did a lot of mine in the house as well. I kept a hard paper towl tube thing next to the couch and randomly would call him over and make him hold it for a while while i was watching tv or sports.

When you are doing hold conditioning you are NOT to do any retrieving until you are all done and the dog understands it. Mine took a week, some dogs will take 2-3+ before they realize the have to pick up and hold the item until you say they can give it. 2-3 sessions a day, no retrieving until its set in his mind and he will hold anything you stick in his mouth without dropping it.

I did a lot of mine in the house as well. I kept a hard paper towl tube thing next to the couch and randomly would call him over and make him hold it for a while while i was watching tv or sports.
Thank you, what do you do if you're dog is starting to avoid the bumper? He will last for 2-3 "hold" and then he's absolutely done. Again, I don't want to get to the point where he's running from it, but he's getting there now

Thank you, what do you do if you're dog is starting to avoid the bumper? He will last for 2-3 "hold" and then he's absolutely done. Again, I don't want to get to the point where he's running from it, but he's getting there now
If I were you I would start watching some good videos on hold conditioning before you go any further. And I would put away the bumpers and start with a leather glove then to wooden dowel. Stop all retrieving until you are finished with hold conditioning and force fetch. It's easier to teach hold on a tailgate or table. Tell the dog to sit open his mouth and slide your finger in with a glove on. Tap him under the chin and tell him hold. Do it for 10 seconds and repeat. Repeat 5 or 6 times and stop til the next day. If the dog stands up during the process put hold conditioning off and work on obedience.

Tie him up with a leash tied to a pole so he cant move, and shove the object in his mouth with a ton of reassurancene and reward. Start small, one to two seconds then reward for the first couple days.

Don't do this with a bumper, you want the bumper to be fun. I used PVC with duct tape on it for more grip, a cardboard roll, and finally a metal pipe. When he understands its fun to grab on to an item and hold, because he gets rewarded, you can go to a bumper and eventually a real bird (probably weeks after you start).

Reward reward reward. Lots of praise and rewards each time.

Thank you all, some really great advice. His videos seem great too, taking it nice and slow with him so he he'll stop being so avoidant of it

I like his videos, and appreciate his temperament when handling dogs. They pick up on our energy more than we can comprehend. Be slow, steady and consistent!

Back