How to get better at wingshooting

Stay away from xpert, its the worst of the worst. If you have to shoot non tox, and don't want to shoot bismuth, find some hevi-steel or federal speed shok #2 in 3" 1 1/8 or 1 1/4. Put in a modified choke and go hit the patterning board (im sure theyll be fine but double check it doesnt look like a blunderbuss)

Aside from that, find a local trap range and go shoot a couple rounds every evening you can for 2 weeks before opener. Trap is perfect for learning the flushing motion of a pheasant and you will build TONS of confidence. Use 7.5 lead and a modified choke. It will be expensive when you are done, but oh so worth it in the long run. Dont bother with hand thrown unless you have a good electric thrower, it just wont be the practice shots you need. If you are having trouble at the range too, go to the clubhouse and ask if there is a veteran shooter around that could spot you for a round. Almost everyone will be willing to help you i bet, nobody likes to see someone struggle in this sport.

On your semi-auto question, i dont think ive ever had a good 3rd shot opportunity on a pheasant in my life. On a second flushing bird I have.
That is a big advantage. It's hard not to take that 3rd shot,but if another bird flushes, you still have one or 2 with an auto.

Back