How often do you encounter the law?

EXACTLY. The COs and Wardens can only cite rule breakers; then they have to document the hell out of the circumstances, provide pictures if possible, arrange for testimony, and fit in the schedule the judges set up. The judges interpret the laws, consider their own opinions, the degree of the violation (and maybe how much influence the offender has in the area and if they are elected judiciary) and the make their judgement.)

I can only imagine how quickly this process erodes the idealism of the CO.

The process does not lend itself to enacting the laws as they were intended.
They are spread real thin in the United States. I would like to see them more often.

I do not often carry my license on my person anymore. Tennessee has cell phone app that has a barcode for the TWRA officers to scan. Has anyone run into issues by only carrying their phone and the app provided by whatever state you are hunting?
Hard to have a tag for a deer on your phone.

Fri I ran into a Ne. game warden while I was looking at properties, I think he thought I was up to no good. We talked a little bit and he gave me the regs book. After hunting sat. and seeing how everything on state property was fenced in ( I thought maybe it was for grazing management?) I was unsure on the regs around roads and if you could shoot a bird that flushed inside the fence but was over the ditch easement. So I went through the regs Sun morning. I really couldn’t find anything other than paved roads.
Sure enough I run into another game warden a little while later on Sun and he’s been sitting in the parking lot watching me. We go through everything , birds , my shells, steel, licenses. And then I ask him about the ditch rule, says it a no in Ne. I don’t think he was going to bring it up but I had just shot one that flushed on the right side of the fence and may have been shot on the other side, not sure it was close. So I fess up and tellI him that, guess he’d been watching me the whole time and says yeah I saw that it sure looked like it from this angle

Last edited:
I have been checked 2 times in No Dak duck hunting. And at least 3 times in So. Dak. Once the CO gave me a ride back to my truck to check my license that I had there. Since it was warm both I and my dog appreciated the 1 mile ride back. Two of the times were on private land off a minimum maintenance road. One of the times he even recommended a spot to hunt. I was also checked this summer in the middle of a 3000 square mile lake in northern Saskatchewan. RCMP must have been bored as there were no other boats within 5 miles.

I do not often carry my license on my person anymore. Tennessee has cell phone app that has a barcode for the TWRA officers to scan. Has anyone run into issues by only carrying their phone and the app provided by whatever state you are hunting?

Iowa encourages you to use the app, its easy for the officers to check you since they just look for a green (valid) hunting on your screen instead of trying to read faded paper. You only need a physical license for fed migratory bird stamp and deer/turkey licenses.

A warden i spoke to about it said to be sure and take a screenshot of it every year in case you are checked where you do not have service.

Good info and thanks.

I have trouble keeping up with the paper or even reading it but as the world continues to evolve I will probably have that stupid phone in my casket!

You only need a physical license for fed migratory bird stamp and deer/turkey licenses.
You don't actually need the federal waterfowl stamp itself either. Its listed right on the license for certifications. When you buy one with your license, they will still mail you one anyways but you don't need it anymore. Some people collect them.

My understanding is that you still need the paper copies for anything that requires a site tag, like a deer, turkey, bear, or other big game, as you already stated.

The e-stamp is valid for 45 days, after that you must carry your signed in ink federal duck stamp on your person while hunting.

• Sign the front of your Duck Stamp in order for it to be valid. Remember—only you can use your Federal Duck Stamp - wildlife law enforcement personnel will compare your stamp to your hunting license to make sure they are both yours.
  • If you bought an E-Stamp, you must carry your 45-day receipt with you at all times while hunting. Once the receipt has expired, you must carry your current, signed Federal Duck Stamp. (Your store purchase/credit card receipt is not valid as a duck stamp)

Last time I was checked in ND was several years ago. All electronic ... he pulled our licenses up on the computer. He then said this township was loaded with pheasants. He was right.

Feds want the stamp and want it signed. That way people cannot pass along the duck stamp say at an outfitter or club.

Federal wardens are most often the most thorough. Many follow the migration south so are not local or stationed locally. 3 shells (plug), steel shot, licenses, duck stamp signed,

You don't actually need the federal waterfowl stamp itself either. Its listed right on the license for certifications. When you buy one with your license, they will still mail you one anyways but you don't need it anymore. Some people collect them.

My understanding is that you still need the paper copies for anything that requires a site tag, like a deer, turkey, bear, or other big game, as you already stated.

You absolutely do and it needs to be signed.

I had never been checked here in Western Kansas in ~35 years as an avid hunter. I read this post a several weeks ago and remember reflecting back on this and chuckling to myself about all of the law abiding rules I/we follow as a sportsman, not because of fear but because it's the right thing to do.
This year, first field on opening day, I had the genuine pleasure of meeting a Kansas game warden. He checked our stuff, asked to inspect our birds to determine approximate ages shook our hands, passed out business cards and told us to have a good rest of the day!
I'm in a small community and know almost everybody. Every group that was out that day had the same experience with the same warden. Most of them have also never been checked before this year. To my knowledge there were no citations issued in our county.

Off the original t
Sure thing!

70% lean meat 30% fat
2lbs of total meat
1/2 TBS brown sugar
2 tsp dried sage
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp red pepper flake
1/8 tsp ground clove

I add the seasonings minus the sugar to a spice grinder and grind fine for better distribution, but it's not necessary. This recipe is a bit sweet, if you dont like sweet sausage then cut down or even remove the sugar. Add seasoning mixture after grinding, mix well, then place in zip lock bag in refrigerator for 24 hrs before using or freezing in portions.

For fat you can either ask at a butcher shop or meat counter for pork trimming fat (its super cheap) or you can use super cheap fatty bacon which adds a nice smoke flavor. I do the bacon trick often.

Alternatively, LEM makes great breakfast sausage seasoning in a few flavors also! I love their maple but again its really sweet.
Well, off the original topic of this thread, but KEO got me interested in pheasant breakfast sausage. I now own a LEM grinder and have made about 8 pounds of breakfast sausage. Played with few recipes and have blended a couple to get a really good one! The things we learn here!!

Off the original t

Well, off the original topic of this thread, but KEO got me interested in pheasant breakfast sausage. I now own a LEM grinder and have made about 8 pounds of breakfast sausage. Played with few recipes and have blended a couple to get a really good one! The things we learn here!!
Keeping on this off the topic, anyone tried to make pheasant brats?

Off the original t

Glad to hear you are making some good food!!! Pheasant is such a mild and universal meat that you can make any kind of sausage product out of it, just need to adjust the fat content with added pork/beef trimming per the recipe. Pheasant snack sticks would even be possible with enough added fat, what a treat that would be after a long walk in the field.

Brats would work just fine, i like to shoot for 25% fat and a medium grind for brats which is less than most people but I make sure not to overcook them so they stay juicy. Although ive not tried pheasant, i have used goose and dove with success. And i make all my own pork brats throughout the year.

Now that you have the supplies, keep an eye out for cheap pork shoulder Remy. It makes the best homemade sausage/brats in the summer, it comes out at 25-30% fat after grinding it all. You wont believe the difference between homemade and butcher shop/grocery store sausages.

Another thing worth trying now that you have the grinder is a bacon ranch pheasant burger sandwich.

Two pheasants (4 breasts)
1/2lb bacon
Grind with medium plate
Mix in 1/4 packet of powdered ranch season (more if you want a huge flavor punch) by hand, lightly so you do not break up the meat too bad.
Form into patties on parchment paper
Cook on medium heat in a pan on stovetop with a little bit of olive oil to keep it from sticking. Be careful not to burn before the internal is completely cooked, there is added ground pork product so it must go to 160F.

Serve on brioche bun with mayo, lettuce, and tomato. It is amazing. A little buffalo sauce makes a great addition too.

For those who cant shoot, you can substitute chicken breast 😉

Another thing worth trying now that you have the grinder is a bacon ranch pheasant burger sandwich.

Two pheasants (4 breasts)
1/2lb bacon
Grind with medium plate
Mix in 1/4 packet of powdered ranch season (more if you want a huge flavor punch) by hand, lightly so you do not break up the meat too bad.
Form into patties on parchment paper
Cook on medium heat in a pan on stovetop with a little bit of olive oil to keep it from sticking. Be careful not to burn before the internal is completely cooked, there is added ground pork product so it must go to 160F.

Serve on brioche bun with mayo, lettuce, and tomato. It is amazing. A little buffalo sauce makes a great addition too.

For those who cant shoot, you can substitute chicken breast 😉
Going to try this recipe, thanks for posting KEO.

My youngest and I got the privilege of going through a SD Game Warden checkpoint last weekend they had set along the highway. They were very cordial, professional, and expedient. The initial officer on the road asked if we have been hunting that day, and we had, and he asked us to pull into the checkpoint area off the road. Once we pulled in behind another truck another CO walked up to the truck window and asked the same question. Once we answered we had he very politely asked for our hunting licenses. He checked mine on my phone and was good to go. He asked how long we had been hunting and where. Once that was done he asked if he could take a look at our game. We dug it out, he took about 30 seconds to look them over, and gave us the 'all good'. Again, he was really nice and professional. It was a great interaction.

Back