How often do you encounter the law?

This goes out to law enforcement. You don't have to go easy on these guys.Write tickets, confiscate guns, slap them in cuffs.You don't need to be a good guy.Poachers don't deserve leniency.

I guess your 🗣️ ing from experience. Seems to me the ones who complain the most, are they themselves, the most guilty. I imagine you're bitter from your own ticket(s) and want to see others given no mercy. Just sayin'

I guess your 🗣️ ing from experience. Seems to me the ones who complain the most, are they themselves, the most guilty. I imagine you're bitter from your own ticket(s) and want to see others given no mercy. Just sayin'
I'm not sure "he who smelt it dealt it" applies to poachers & other severely unethical "hunters".

You are missing the point. There are times when they should throw the book at these guys.
Right. I'm saying the fact that you take a firm stance on poachers, etc. doesn't mean you're a poacher yourself. I agree. I don't want my hunting ruined by other idiots. As with so many things, stiffer penalties might help.

Last edited:
I had a very nice meeting with our local CO yesterday. Started with him smiling and exclaiming I wondered when I would run into you out hunting. He looked at the 2 birds I had and asked where all I had been? I told him where I was resident's only and what I saw , then told him about Saturday . Then I talked about where I had been and how I planned to finish up. He did tell me of a few public areas in the vicinity and let me know there were other ways to approach them. I let him know there was a problem with a walk-in area that had come out and was no longer on the paper map but still shows on the electronic map. I have been in his and the waterfowl bioligist/wardens office a # of times sharing bird numbers,cover conditions otter sightings, and hunting pressure. They know I am a avid pheasant hunter who has the dog power and good connections for success.

After we discussed nonresident hunters and general hunting pressure and results he finally said I guess I need to see your license. I produced it and he said well great talking to you.

As with so many things, stiffer penalties might help.
I think you and Goose are confusing a couple items here. LEO's only enforce the laws on the books. They do not make decisions on punishments. That is done by state legislators and the courts. If you want stiffer fines or more severe punishments, it needs to be changed by state representatives and approved by the governor. Game Wardens are not involved in rule-making.

I think you and Goose are confusing a couple items here. LEO's only enforce the laws on the books. They do not make decisions on punishments. That is done by state legislators and the courts. If you want stiffer fines or more severe punishments, it needs to be changed by state representatives and approved by the governor. Game Wardens are not involved in rule-making.
I agree, and they do the best they can. Sometimes they have big time poachers, and they don't realize it.They may catch them on a small violation.In montana, there are lots of hicks and rednecks who have no regard for hunting laws. They need to be arrested and jailed.

I agree, and they do the best they can. Sometimes they have big time poachers, and they don't realize it.They may catch them on a small violation.In montana, there are lots of hicks and rednecks who have no regard for hunting laws. They need to be arrested and jailed.
We've already established here that generally speaking, there just isn't enough of them. I'd like to see more, because, well, I've literally never encountered one hunting (and fishing) for almost 30 years.

I don't know if you're familiar with the lake Erie walleye cheaters who stuffed lead down the fish's throats to increase their weights. Its very likely they were doing this for much longer than when they got caught, but the only evidence built in that case is when they were caught (unless they admit to doing it before, which they did not).

I personally don't know anyone who purposefully is breaking game or fish laws. That's not the type of people I associate with.

as a guy that tries like hell to follow the laws, I wish I'd see them more. They can be a source of great info as well.
Ive seen, on numerous occasions, guys that have jumped back in their trucks and took off when they see me coming down the road, so obvious that they had something to hide.

If I indicated somewhere that I thought LEOs make the laws or decide punishments, I apologize. Pretty sure I didn't though. Whatever. All good. 🤷

In 2006 I was contemplating leaving my current law enforcement agency here in Wisconsin for a Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks Warden position....looking for a change and new adventure.
The average Warden District at that time in Montana was around 2,000 square miles and starting pay was one of lowest in the nation. I chose, financially not to take a position out there.
Here in Wisconsin, our Warden numbers are hurting as well. Over the last several years they had to take on additional duties of working shifts in the State Parks which would normally have been done by State Park Rangers, both full time and seasonal, which were cut.
The State employees here in Wisconsin, specifically the State Patrol, Corrections, and DNR Wardens just received a significant pay bump which should help in recruitment and retention.

Last edited:
EXACTLY. The COs and Wardens can only cite rule breakers; then they have to document the hell out of the circumstances, provide pictures if possible, arrange for testimony, and fit in the schedule the judges set up. The judges interpret the laws, consider their own opinions, the degree of the violation (and maybe how much influence the offender has in the area and if they are elected judiciary) and then make their judgement.)

I can only imagine how quickly this process erodes the idealism of the CO.

The process does not lend itself to enacting the laws as they were intended.

Last edited:
Back