How many shells?

I do have to chuckle a little bit at the beginning of TV shows like The Flush where they dump a whole box of prairie storm in their pocket in the parking lot 🤣 id be embarrassed to be on TV if I thought i needed 25 shells for 3 pointed birds.
with federal being a major sponsor. I’m guessing that box drop costs federal around 1/2 million. Do they carry a box around or do they empty their pockets after shooting that shot and dump so back in the box and carry less?

with federal being a major sponsor. I’m guessing that box drop costs federal around 1/2 million. Do they carry a box around or do they empty their pockets after shooting that shot and dump so back in the box and carry less?
And here we are talking about Federal Prairie Stormâ„¢ which means that marketing is working. I do bet they only do it for the camera and then carry a bit less.

Game farm vs. wild is a constant talking point on this forum and others. Wild birds are always better in my opinion. I do go to the game farm sometimes, if season isn't open or if my buddies all want to go. It's fun but not the same. One thing I really disagree with and burns my britches is "professional" tv shows, videography, photography when they are almost guaranteed hunting/taking pics of coop roosters. I saw one the other day sponsored by a bunch of big brands and I'm pretty sure it had planted birds. It was a classic when A5 got the new PF calendar and called out a picture of a raging flare nare flying across the landscape.
Yeah I'm not ragging on game farms by any means and have been to them before usually as a training tool or tune up for the dogs. But I've watched enough episodes of The Flush to know that they do often showcase those private "preserves". Don't get me wrong, I like the show and watch it. I have noticed that whenever Ron Schara is the main guy, they're at a fancy game farm. Usually Travis Frank or Bill Sherck will be on more my style hunts, public land hunts and the like. It probably just comes with age and Ron Schara doesn't want to come home empty handed.

It is a good pic of a rooster pheasant PF purchased...are we next going to get ripping on the photographer who took the pic of such a abominable creature? PF creates habitat for not only wild pheasants, but all wildlife...if a farm raised rooster seeks refuge in such cover, I see no problem with this. If people get a chance to shoot farm raised roosters and it generates the passion to hunting wild birds, hey, that is a positive. The more interest in pheasants, the more chances PF has to get people involved, donate and grow to put more acres into the access of the public. It is amazing that a noodle like some here don't get this and continue to beat PF down.
🚨Butt hurt alert🚨. Nobody on this thread "beat PF down." All I was getting at is when portraying wild pheasants in print/video I think wild ones should be used, especially on things like a calendar or magazine cover. PF is a good organization with lots of great people who add a lot of quality habitat for the public to enjoy. If they put a pen raised rooster front and center in a calendar and it gets called out and there's a little teasing is that ok, or are your feelings too sensitive? Do you think National Geographic gets pictures of tigers and elephants from the Omaha zoo?

Not the Omaha Zoo, but a game reserve in South Africa where the animals are conditioned to vehicle traffic. It all comes down to money allocated to get the job done. Much easier to get a wolf picture in a "fenced area" than the wild to save some $$. We get what we want out of hunting by the effort we put in to it. Try hunting with a single shot .410 and a shih tzu. Please send pics I am all in for PF.

Yes, a bit sensitive when admitted public land hunters can't recognize or support the group that does more for them than any other. None of these groups can make much happen alone, throw your direct support (money) toward a group that supports habitat, especially if you aren't doing it on your own. I just struggle to understand way anyone on this forum would regularly try to degrade the efforts of PF.

Yes, a bit sensitive when admitted public land hunters can't recognize or support the group that does more for them than any other. None of these groups can make much happen alone, throw your direct support (money) toward a group that supports habitat, especially if you aren't doing it on your own. I just struggle to understand way anyone on this forum would regularly try to degrade the efforts of PF.
Is that aimed at me? I support PF & fully understand it does more for pheasants than any other organization in the world. I simply happen to believe they should distance themselves from pen reared birds as much a possible. If you don't think so, fine. Photographer Steve Oehlenschlager says it's tough to make money taking pictures of wild birds. I get that. So he frequently uses flare nares. But PF passes them off as wild. Nobody else has to care. I do. It's disingenuous & limp noodle, just like the boys from The Flush shooting flare nares at a preserve & playing so much grabass.

Last edited:
Is that aimed at me? I support PF & fully understand it does more for pheasants than any other organization in the world. I simply happen to believe they should distance themselves from pen reared birds as much a possible. If you don't think so, fine. Photographer Steve Oehlenschlager says it's tough to make money taking pictures of wild birds. I get that. So he frequently uses flare nares. But PF passes them off as wild. Nobody else has to care. I do. It's disingenuous & limp noodle, just like the boys from The Flush shooting flare nares at a preserve & playing so much grabass.
Goose loves grabass

Yeah I'm not ragging on game farms by any means and have been to them before usually as a training tool or tune up for the dogs. But I've watched enough episodes of The Flush to know that they do often showcase those private "preserves". Don't get me wrong, I like the show and watch it. I have noticed that whenever Ron Schara is the main guy, they're at a fancy game farm. Usually Travis Frank or Bill Sherck will be on more my style hunts, public land hunts and the like. It probably just comes with age and Ron Schara doesn't want to come home empty handed.
Exactly how I feel. Flare nares at a game farm are really good for dog training because they're dumb, slow, and they guarantee success. I occasionally watch Rooster Tales on Bally's and they will sometimes hit a public land hunt in other states. Not just for pheasants either. I met Ron Schara and Bill Sherck at the Crappie Contest last May on Lake Minnetonka. They were even nice enough to take a photo with me. My Father was invited on stage for an interview with Bill.

Attachments

• Ron Schara.jpg
    Ron Schara.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Bill Sherck.jpg
    Bill Sherck.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 8
I hunt quail, pheasant and chukar all at the same time, additionally I typically will hunt 1/2 a day (7miles), I shoot roughly 25% for all species and I see a lot of birds so I bring one box in my shell pockets and bring a spare in my game pouch.

This post makes me sound like a pretty poor shot!!

I hunt quail, pheasant and chukar all at the same time, additionally I typically will hunt 1/2 a day (7miles), I shoot roughly 25% for all species and I see a lot of birds so I bring one box in my shell pockets and bring a spare in my game pouch.

Nope, just honest. :)

That's like a 15 bird limit? So based on the logic of in this thread of having 3-5 times the ammo of the limit 2 boxes is just right. Hopefully that's at most 20 gauges shells for the weight.

That's like a 15 bird limit? So based on the logic of in this thread of having 3-5 times the ammo of the limit 2 boxes is just right. Hopefully that's at most 20 gauges shells for the weight.
10 quail, 2 pheasants and 8 chukar would be the limit. Also that is a unicorn of a day. I have carried 50 shells and run out. I don’t like to be in the field and out of shells.

Why would you be critical about the number of shells that I carry anyway Littlebighorn? Having more than I need is always better than not enough.

Back