How long does it take before pheasant move into a newly planted CRP planting?

Freeborn

Hi Group,

I’m trying to understand what I should expect for a pheasant population from my 2 year old CRP planting. I have 45 acres in CRP, 37 of it planted last spring (18 months ago) and 8 acres planted this spring (6 months ago). In general the 18 month old grass has done pretty well with good thick growth but I do have drier areas where the grasses are established but because of how new they are and because of the drought are not very tall. The grasses I planted this spring had a tuff year but did germinate but very little growth.

I am also fortunate to have a 30 acre slew that borders me to the north which holds birds.

A buddy and I hunted my place this past weekend and we got 3 roosters and 3 hens up out of my place. My question is does it take time for a new planting to develop a resident population? How long does it take before pheasant move into a newly planted CRP planting?

There are always birds in the slew but I am wondering if it takes time to for the birds to move in and get accustomed to the new grasses or is what I experienced this past weekend what I should expect.

Of the birds we saw half were on the slew edge near my gravel access road and half were out in the grass.

Also, do any of you strategically place grit on your property so the birds have it close to their feeding and nesting areas?

Thanks much!

I don't know where you are but that number seems pretty good to me on 80@. I see there is a slough and probably some other cover which is pheasant friendly. One thing you need to remember pheasants are territorial, and stake claims to good spots, and defend them. If there is a surplus population, as you harvest a bird, other birds will take it's place. Not immediately, though I have seen that, but over a couple of weeks, and how hard they are pressed. Make yourself the "right" place. I have used and seen others use Minnesota red granite gravel, and use oyster shell along roads, creek access crossing bottoms. Be careful to avoid baiting laws, who knows what somebody will think is baiting.

Thanks oldandnew. I am located in West Central Minnesota, Ottertail County. The bird count is good in my area and considered very good 20-40 miles to the west of me. The slew I have should be very good once it freezes, its wet right now.

How much Minnesota red granite gravel should a person put down? I have a couple of very small slews in the middle of my ag fields that have irrigation pivot paths that cross them. The paths are now overgrown with willow trees. I thought they would be ideal for adding a length or pile of gravel to.

Thanks for the information.

If you are going a distance, just get limestone pea sized gravel, it will do it all. If you can get the good Minnesota red granite at a price, it's good too. The limestone will be cheaper, I'd do gravel piles, but I don't think you need to, but the birds will use it. Cover manipulation with be the key, get some good early succesion cover, sparse with a forbs and legumes, because they lure the insects that are vital to pheasant chicks developement. Try to see the big picture, sounds like you have roosting cover, cattails, nesting and brood rearing cover is the hard part. It's all a battle. The reward is birds that are there, because of your efforts.

Last edited:
Oldandnew,

The second CRP planting I put in is a CP25 short grass and high forb mix. The intent is for this area to be for brood rearing area and to provide insects for chicks.

This mix was planted early summer and because of the drought did not do very well. I am hoping next year is much better.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back