How has the Winter Been?

pheasantaddict

In the far northwest part of the state the winter snow totals have been mild, my only concern is the extreme cold and wind. How's the rest of the state looking? Hoping for a warm up soon.

my neck of the woods wich is central iowa, there is no snow on the ground here but it has been windy and cold. i expect the bird survival this winter to be very good. its spring i worry about.

has been cold. still lots of open hills for birds to feed on. grass is not blown in with snow this year. have been out coyote hunting. seeing lots of pheasant this last week. saw over 50 hens in one field last night.:10sign::cheers: hope thur. blizzard isn't too bad.

Looks to me like chickens are doing great:thumbsup: 30+ on way to town and that came from dad. he's half blind so must have been alot:D

Hey Coot, I like the location: Verizon Sucks:D:D

spring????

might be hope yet for spring -14 this morning. then I drove thru nora springs and I saw at least 50 robins huddled along the road:eek: couldn't believe my eyes so I drove back and double checked. they were robins:10sign: don't know if they were huddled up because of the cold or if they were forming a lynch mob to hang their navigator:confused:

We have robins around here too. They've been here all winter in fact:confused:.

Back in January a biologist was on the morning radio discussing why they never flew south. He explained that these robins (we were seeing) were going to stick around for the winter. For them this was "south"; They are from an area in Canada. I guess they would normal tough out the winter from that part of Canada but it's been abnormally cold for them too so they flew down here.

Anyway, possibly those robins you saw were from the same area our "wintering" robins are from over here in N. IL:confused::)

Back