how does your dogs feet handle the snow

birdybritt529

i just had my dog out hunting in the snow for the first time. just wondering how many people use boots on the dogs feet? i had to constantly help get the ice out from the dogs feet. any tips on dogs feet in the snow?

It's hard on them for sure, I don't use boots. Tried taping them on and affixing them all kinds of ways when I used to hunt SW SD. They have gnarly little sand burrs down there. Dogs can't get much traction with boots in the snow. I just fish it outta there,like you.

i just had my dog out hunting in the snow for the first time. just wondering how many people use boots on the dogs feet? i had to constantly help get the ice out from the dogs feet. any tips on dogs feet in the snow?

Trim the hair between their toes as short as you can. That works for my dogs. If that doesn't stop it, I have been told to smear some vaseline between their toes in the morning before their feet get wet.

Trimming the hair between the pads is our first approach. Secondly, experience with Iditarod dogs led us to sew fleece booties with hook and loop closure. They are cheap, so if you lose one (which you will), no big deal. Make extras.

Clipping the hair between their pads as short as possible is the first step.

Back