How do you get your dogs in shape?

Jonjhawk

I live in a city and don't have access to fields to road him or anything like that. I run with him when I can but I'm away at school and so I can only come back once or twice a week. How do you all get your dogs in shape for the season?

I live in a city and don't have access to fields to road him or anything like that. I run with him when I can but I'm away at school and so I can only come back once or twice a week. How do you all get your dogs in shape for the season?

I have labs--
So--in addition to normal training--I'm a big believer in swimming them to get/keep them in shape--either by long-long retrieves or blinds--or hand thrown or machine throw bumpers--
Up to several 3-4 hundred yard marks or blinds-or a hour or more of thrown bumpers as season gets closer--jmo

Treadmill and off season training. Join a group like NAVHDA and train for tests. It only makes a better hunting dog.

Piles set at about 100 yards....after 20 or so she starts to get pretty tired. Also lucky launchers to spice things up.

Not sure where in Kansas your from, but I live in the Kansas City area. I run my dogs on thousands of acres of public ground within an hours drive of where I live, some within 30 minutes. Think Wildlife Mgtmt areas, State Parks, Corp of Engineer lakes...check the off leash regs. Jonjhawk??? If you're in Lawrence you have a pretty good size corp lake in your backyard.

I believe its important to keep dogs wt optimal and never let them get profoundly out of shape during the off season. Wish I could regulate my intake as well as I do the dogs.

I try to get mine out on short runs late in the day, gradually building up the time they run. Mine are never really in shape when I take my yearly South Dakota hunt in early November. In the mid south where I live, it gets in the 90's through much of October. When we come home from South Dakota though, they are ready to roll .

I take my dog out to some deserted areas with little traffic and bring a bike. Park the car. I ride and he runs. Depending on how hot it is we might go 2 miles and we might go 6-7 miles.

Bike can be used anywhere and will give you the option of distance.

I did a lot with a bike this year and I agree. However, if you do not have a dog that heals well at a walk or run then don't do it. You could easily wreck. For me, I was able to put a lot of conditioning on my retriever and she ran strong upland hunting.

i run into the same problem here in Texas, just too damn hot to get consistent conditioning in the fall and their pads don't get very tough either.

If it's hot, you can do water work. Cool out I just run em. Pretty basic. Keeping them at a thin healthy weight is the big thing. Too many people let dogs get way way too fat. Keep em thin and mobile, and they will be ready to work.

If it's hot, you can do water work. Cool out I just run em. Pretty basic. Keeping them at a thin healthy weight is the big thing. Too many people let dogs get way way too fat. Keep em thin and mobile, and they will be ready to work.

Agreed. All summer long Buzz doesn't do a ton of running, but he does alot of flying off the dock & swimming. Wears him out & keeps him in good shape. Cancels out the effects of beer & pizza.

That's tough, living in the city and all. Sounds like the bike route may be the best if you absolutely can't get out to some open spaces. Lucky for me I just load the dogs up, dump them out on gravel and watch them run for a few miles most of the time. Lets me be pretty lazy about the process which is probably good because if I had to get on a bike it's pretty safe to assume the dogs wouldn't be in near as good of shape come fall. Try to do more swimming at a local WMA when it's hot or just plan their running routes such that we cross a few nice creeks for a quick cool down along the way. I also have done some tuff foot spray on for a couple weeks before season to top things off and so far have had minimal foot issues and rarely boot the dogs keeping them on the gravel/hard surface seems to really help there. Perhaps one of these bad boys https://newatlas.com/dog-powered-recumbent-trike/8789/ , good luck.

Back