How Cold Is To Cold?

Calm and 0F can be fine if you hunt for an hour or two at a time and the dog is brought out of the elements between hunts.
Not all temps are created equally. I remember a hunt where the initial temp was -8 with zero wind and sun shining brightly. My Vizlas and their short coats did fine for short spurts. I have hunted 20 degrees that "seemed" much colder. Definitely didn't have to fight wood ticks or mosquitos.

A "humid" cold can sure feel colder that a dry cold.

Grew up in ND and it was mostly a dry cold. We used to ice fish in sub 0 weather because if you waited for 20 you probably did not go. I am pretty sure there were stretches where highs sub 0 stretch 20-30 days and sub-freezing ... well it sure felt like all winter.

We put charcoal in metal coffee cans to keep the holes open. Would hand drill through 24" - 30"+ ice. All back when there were about 50 or so fishable lakes in ND (drought 80s).

This thread was a great reminder for me to order another pair of my absolutely preferred extreme cold weather shooting glove. Hard to beat the warmth, feel and dexterity in the fingers. I keep several on hand and rotate if my hands sweat which often happens when plowing through cattails and snow. There is a great thread on gloves on UPH but for me I stop at these:

Gloves - Mountain Made

Consider the birds in cold weather. If you feel the need to shake them out of their bedding areas in the temps we have now, maybe try to do it early in the day, so they have a chance to get back to the cover and find a place to ride-out the night in. Really not the time of the year to hunt your golden hour.
Well said…

This thread was a great reminder for me to order another pair of my absolutely preferred extreme cold weather shooting glove. Hard to beat the warmth, feel and dexterity in the fingers. I keep several on hand and rotate if my hands sweat which often happens when plowing through cattails and snow. There is a great thread on gloves on UPH but for me I stop at these:

Gloves - Mountain Made
The genesis model?

I have hunted in temps down to right around 0 degrees with virtually no wind and bright sunshine several times. That seemed pretty cold when I started, but once I started walking around for a while I warmed up relatively quickly.

If the wind was howling at that temperature, no way I'd be out there. Frostbite causes permanent damage.

As some have mentioned, some breeds of dogs are more conditioned and suited for the cold than others.

You have to make decisions for your bird dog and avoid situations that can become dangerous for their well being.

The bird dog's drive is most often too strong for them to act rationally. As pack leader they will follow you lead.
Yeah, ice and water and snow can be dangerous. Always be careful, and watch out for thin ice,it will change color.

I hunt somewhat regularly at zero, or a few degrees on either side of it. But get much below zero & the amount of sun & wind start to really come into play. On the really cold days (-10 to -25) we might go out, but we're not out of the truck long. 5-10 minute stretches to hunt little chunks of ditch.

I hunt somewhat regularly at zero, or a few degrees on either side of it. But get much below zero & the amount of sun & wind start to really come into play. On the really cold days (-10 to -25) we might go out, but we're not out of the truck long. 5-10 minute stretches to hunt little chunks of ditch.
Those are some of my favorite videos.

I did end up hunting last Monday and Tuesday. I dont remember the exact temps but they were below zero. Dogs did well and loved getting out! I lost my stocking hat in a grove but still had a hood but my ears got a little too cold. Still hurts to sleep on them and constant itch and tingle. I did have frost bite on them several years ago so their a little sensitive but getting better. Be careful out there! Just told my son we'll talk about this season for decades too come as the "Good ole Days". Ive hunted 68 days so far and two weeks left and my son Im guessing has gotten out 30 or more.

Back