How cold is to cold?

Last day to head out tomorrow and the high is 3 below and its going to be 30 below with wind chill. I can handle the weather since I can dress appropriately. My lab is a tough dog but I worry about frostbite. We also have snow on the ground too.
What temps should I worry about with dog? The wife says sleep in take a day off from hunting.

Lab will be fine as long as he doesn't get too wet from the snow. Just make sure he has someplace to warm up

In the 90's I hunted in pretty much anything except a steady rain... :rolleyes: that wouldn't stop me except I didn't want my gun in the rain. On these extreme cold days, I just limited my time out of the car (more for my pooch than me). Keep your hunts pretty short and get back in the car to keep both of you warm.

I took my father in law out one time back then in weather like we are having right now (-10 ish) and I remember a rooster jumped right in front of him. I said why didn't you shoot... he was quivering and said, "I couldn't pull the trigger, I think I'm done." Of course he was wearing his favorite paper thin brown Jersey gloves so he might as well not had anything on his hands. :D

Be safe tomorrow if you go...

In the 90's I hunted in pretty much anything except a steady rain... :rolleyes: that wouldn't stop me except I didn't want my gun in the rain. On these extreme cold days, I just limited my time out of the car (more for my pooch than me). Keep your hunts pretty short and get back in the car to keep both of you warm.

I took my father in law out one time back then in weather like we are having right now (-10 ish) and I remember a rooster jumped right in front of him. I said why didn't you shoot... he was quivering and said, "I couldn't pull the trigger, I think I'm done." Of course he was wearing his favorite paper thin brown Jersey gloves so he might as well not had anything on his hands. :D

Be safe tomorrow if you go...

I wimped out..and slept in. Going to get after it on Friday's clean up. Give me a bit more time to get my back and sinus in order plus it will be 25 degrees warmer.

I wimped out..and slept in. Going to get after it on Friday's clean up. Give me a bit more time to get my back and sinus in order plus it will be 25 degrees warmer.

Ha! Don't know that I would have made it out today either if I had the day off. Good luck Fri :)

I have been out several times at -20, doesn't seem to bother the labs. Modern clothing is amazing. However, if there is any wind and it is below zero, it isn't much fun. I refuse to shoot unless I can have a bare finger on the trigger. That poses minor problems, but the glomitts are awesome, add a handwarmer and -30 isn't a problem. The birds hold a lot better when it is cold! :cheers:

If the dog is shaking, it's too cold for it. Several factors: temp, wind, sunny or cloudy.

Last edited:
i don't mind hunting at -10 or -20......but i do get concerned with getting stranded in snow or with a vehicle problem.....i pick my spots and never get to far off the beaten path, as things can quickly become dangerous, even if you are well prepared...dehydration can quickly sneak up on you and your dog.

Back