How are things shaping up for the hatch?

The milo looks pretty good! The birds look good! Hopefully, the rains keep things going.

Ken

That is a mineral block. I thought I'd put one out to see what deer are out there (I'm not much of a deer hunter though). Oddly I have pictures and video of pheasant and quail both eating from it. It does have some corn in there.

27 by my count in the one photo, not including the male. That qualifies as a gigantic covey in my book. Kansas have far more than Missouri large coveys, but 25-30 bird coveys are the exception in either state. Far fewer in Missouri for sure. Awesome to see. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
That could be more than one brood being raised by him while she continues to nest. 27 is likely more than one clutch. That many chicks with the male is a good sign. I spoke to a biologist back in 2015 (bumper crop of bobs in western ok that year) And he said they had documented that type of activity going on. Those appear to be chicks from an early summer hatch. Their reproductive potential is really something when conditions are perfect.

Back