How are things shaping up for the hatch?

Straightup82

Any updates on how the hatch is going? Looks like parts of Texas might be shaping up well. Things look pretty good in Missouri.

It was looking great til Sunday. Hopefully there wasn't that much hail but I know reports of tennis ball sized hail reported around us. We didn't get hail here but a fast heavy rain about 2 inches Sunday night. I think we had an inch Friday then some slow steady stuff yesterday. I actually feel pretty good overall, better than the last couple of years. Wheat looks good and the cool temps in the month of May slowed it down. Hopefully no more rain for the next several weeks, and no hail storms, because I think the wheat harvest will be late June. Fingers crossed.

Also keep in mind 500,000 acres of Crp expired along with a lot of Wiha tracts. I know my favorite area had signs pulled last week.

Warm weather and no rain in the forecast for the next week or so. It will push that wheat along which is a week or so behind. It will catch up now. My farmer friend told me yesterday that his wheat is about 15% below a bumper crop. The cold really hurt it back in April but the rain the last several weeks brought it back. Good wheat usually means a good hatch. Some steady light rain without any hail would be good. No one cutting hay yet, which is a good thing.

Well the heat for the last 10 days did not do us any favors. Looks like harvest will begin next week possibly in some areas. Some rain now would be good.

Also keep in mind 500,000 acres of Crp expired along with a lot of Wiha tracts. I know my favorite area had signs pulled last week.

I'm confused - per what Mike (Fesentkillr) posted - it seems most CRP was enrolled? Did we really have a net loss of CRP or not? Dont know where to find the answer. The farmer that lets me hunt in West Central KS said he had proposed several tracts for CRP and I think all were rejected or the prices were too low and it simply wasn't worth it. Edwards county if that matters. He's in his 70s if I had to guess - I met him in 2001 or 02 and he's let me hunt since then - He's been farming all his life and had a bunch of CRP when I met him so he knows how it works. But my landowner sample size is only one - so who knows.

Here in Missouri, seeing some bumble bee size chicks. About 1-2 weeks old so things setting up nicely at this point. I checked with the guy I hunt on on central Kansas and he was still unsure of how things were progressing.

Well it is always a concern for me, I live here, and for the farmers who have not yet started wheat harvest. Especially when the county that got hit last night was home to many of my hunting spots. I believe in 2018, our damage estimate for our home was right at $29,000 for the hail storm we had. Sot it is a big concern.

I’ve got quail all over my place. Although I don’t hunt them because they stay on a place I don’t know who owns. But during this time of year they are all over my pastures.

I’m covered up in quail here in southeast Kansas. I’m hearing and seeing lots of birds every day, everywhere I go.
Glad to see those pictures of the pheasants! I’m optimistic for this season.

Back