How are things shaping up for the hatch?

Here are some more trail camera pictures. The 1st picture was from a couple days ago and shows a quail with 11 chicks that couldn't be more than a couple days old. The next picture is of a black bird chasing a snake away. The 3rd picture is a badger and rooster having a stand off. The 4th picture is of an early hatched brood of pheasant chicks (May 26th). The 5th picture is of a rooster/hen in love. And the 6th picture is of the biggest brood of quail I've ever captured on camera (I count 23 chicks that are probably around 2 weeks old). I've got 40 trail cameras out so I get a bunch of pictures, so I will try to post some every week. Enjoy! Quail with 11 day old chicks F0 - 071920.jpgSnake with Black bird - 052820.jpgBadger & Rooster F21 - 051720.JPGHen with chick F0 - 052620.JPGPheasant Love F1 - 060520.jpgQuail with 23 chicks F15 - 070120.jpg,

Here are some more trail camera pictures. The 1st picture was from a couple days ago and shows a quail with 11 chicks that couldn't be more than a couple days old. The next picture is of a black bird chasing a snake away. The 3rd picture is a badger and rooster having a stand off. The 4th picture is of an early hatched brood of pheasant chicks (May 26th). The 5th picture is of a rooster/hen in love. And the 6th picture is of the biggest brood of quail I've ever captured on camera (I count 23 chicks that are probably around 2 weeks old). I've got 40 trail cameras out so I get a bunch of pictures, so I will try to post some every week. Enjoy! View attachment 79View attachment 80View attachment 81View attachment 82View attachment 83View attachment 84,
Great pic's ! Can't wait until January...

PheasantNut - great phtoo
And a few more

Great photos - looks like you've been getting rain where you're at -- you NW or SW KS? Looks like it could be either -- -you a farmer?

I'm in the Topeka area now - but lived in and grew up around the Wichita area and lived in Garden City (Holcomb) for a couple years. SW and NC are where I mainly hunt.

Last edited:
I'm glad everyone is enjoying the pictures. It's fun sharing them with folks that enjoy them as much as I do.

KsHusker - I'm in SW KS. Just a hobby farmer for habitat projects. I enjoy doing different habitat/research projects. We've been getting great rains most of this year. Great early rains, then pretty dry during the primary hatch, and then more great rains the entire month of July.

KDGJ - the photos of the food plots are actually milo versus corn. Unless it is irrigated ground it is pretty tough to grow corn in our part of the world due to lower rainfall averages. I like the cover and protection that the milo provides in addition to the food source. The plots typically look better by now, but I had to replant June 25 & 26. Between buying a new drill (had to work out some bugs and had too low of a seeding rate), and planting into some dry soil in early June, I didn't like the way the stand was coming in. So I sprayed it and started over. The shorter season variety milo is coming in excellent now. Below is a picture from last week of one of the food plots. I also did quite a bit of light disking in early April. Some of those areas turned out really well for brooding areas. I've attached a picture of what those looked like last week. Lots of sunflower and ragweed in those areas.FP July 21st - reduced in size.jpgLight disk July 21st - reduced in size.jpg

Back