How are the roads?

RuttCrazed

I saw a lot of pictures of people being stuck in ditches last weekend because of the rain! I was hoping to take the boys out this weekend to NW/NC Kansas for a late deer/pheasant hunt but don't want make the 5 hour drive to find out we can't get off the pavement.

Thanks!

I saw a lot of pictures of people being stuck in ditches last weekend because of the rain! I was hoping to take the boys out this weekend to NW/NC Kansas for a late deer/pheasant hunt but don't want make the 5 hour drive to find out we can't get off the pavement.

Thanks!

Sanded roads can be driven on. I would not attempt a dirt road. The rain made them soft but it was the snow and freezing rain that destroyed them on Sunday.

Hunted just south of Colby this weekend/monday and agree with bow hunter. Sanded/gravel roads seemed fine but any dirt road was risky once the temp got above freezing. South of I-70 did not get much snow so the roads may be better by this weekend.

Same as mentioned before sand and gravel are ok. Do not attempt dirt! It looked dry 30min in 4x4 to go a mile🙈

If anyone can please update. Heading to Hill City from MN next Friday. Guess it doesn't really matter as we are coming no matter what but getting stuck sux.

If anyone can please update. Heading to Hill City from MN next Friday. Guess it doesn't really matter as we are coming no matter what but getting stuck sux.

I came back on Friday and the black dirt roads were pretty slippery but the shale roads were fine, if they dont get anymore rain they should be fine for next week.

zeepo

Looks like it's going to be fairly warm out west this weekend. I'm leaving Friday for Ness/Hodgeman/Lane region. Anybody have any idea how the roads might be?

Thanks, Nick

Looks like it's going to be fairly warm out west this weekend. I'm leaving Friday for Ness/Hodgeman/Lane region. Anybody have any idea how the roads might be?

Thanks, Nick

Yes I just got back from that area and the roads are fine. A little sticky in sports but nothing to worry about. I am headed back Friday for a week.

Yes I just got back from that area and the roads are fine. A little sticky in sports but nothing to worry about. I am headed back Friday for a week.

Thanks! I wish I was going for a week. Unfortunately, only three days for me.

I was wondering about the roads as well with that bit of rain from today? We are headed to Graham/Rooks counties leaving Thursday at O’Dark 30 and coming back Monday. Super excited about getting my dogs out there for our last trip of the season. It will be interesting to see the difference in bird numbers from opening day til now.

Back