How are the crops looking in SD

Se nd

Had quite a bit of rain last week which halted bean harvest. They should be going in most areas again.

Corn has really turned as of late and will be ready probably before most farmers are done with their beans.

ND opener is just a week away. Expect standing crops preventing you seeing a lot of birds on opener and 2nd weekend. You should still see birds in grass especially bordering standing corn & beans.

They are going hard now and even getting some corn out. Most of it was planted in April and matured early, even with all the moisture. With extended dry forecast, harvest will thankfully be well ahead of last years.

They are going hard now and even getting some corn out. Most of it was planted in April and matured early, even with all the moisture. With extended dry forecast, harvest will thankfully be well ahead of last years.

Good to Hear. :cheers:

Last year was a muddy slog in our neck of the woods.:mad:

NB

We have had fantastic weather the past 2 weeks and the forecast looks even better. Temps in the upper 70's in eastern SD and in the upper 80's in the west. From what I've seen around here it appears most of the beans are out or being combined. With the warm, dry windy weather we are having I would think once the beans are done that they will be getting at the corn. A good killing frost would probably have sped up the process but this weather will also help. I would guess that by the opener a lot more corn will be harvested that we have seen in many a year. Should be a lot drier hunting than last year.

Dakotazeb,

Great to hear that some crops will be out for the opener. We hunt between Cresbard / Ipswich. What would be your best guess estimate on bird numbers this year?

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,

I would have to say the birds in this area may be down a little. We've had two tough winters back to back and a very wet spring. In running my dogs on public land SW of Aberdeen the past two months I have not seen the numbers that I did in the past. But understand, even if we are down a little there still should be plenty of birds. We are coming off some record years. Losing thousands of acres of CRP didn't help any either.

Good luck on your hunt.

DZ

Thanks for your report. That's what I was thinking, birds will be down a little. Well, looks like our group will have to shoot a little better at fewer birds to scratch out a limit.

Bob

Back