How are spring conditons?

1pheas4

Anyone from other areas of Illinois that can tell us how habitat conditions are looking?

How are your birds further south looking---coming out of winter?

Here in the northern part of the state, birds seem to be doing okay. Bad thing is, low areas are very wet. Ponds are full, creeks are riding their brim. More rain most of the week.

It seems (at least for now) we're back to into a wet spring. No good for the birds:(

We still have some time yet before birds nest though. Time will tell what happens;).

The cover in Livingston and Ford counties held up pretty good after the heavy wet snows we had this late winter.Hopefully it will dry up some before nesting season.On a side note,while driving to my training grounds last weekend,I saw quite a few roosters along the filter strips of creeks probably starting to look for hens.

The cover in Livingston and Ford counties held up pretty good after the heavy wet snows we had this late winter.Hopefully it will dry up some before nesting season.On a side note,while driving to my training grounds last weekend,I saw quite a few roosters along the filter strips of creeks probably starting to look for hens.

I'm glad to hear that. I know you had a few good snows this past winter but nothing long-term or major. Let's hope for a spring that shapes up here soon!

Are you guys getting a lot of rain down that way too? My lord we are saturated up here.:eek:

Not as bad as up north,creeks aren't high.Some landowners even got their controlled burns in around Easter.These counties got hit with alot of heavy wet snow with those recent storms and it did some damaged to the older crp(brome grass takeover) but the well managed grounds look good.I don't mind the rain now,it should jump start our growing season early and provide excellent cover for the nesting hens.As you said,as long as these rains subside when nesting and brooding season is going on.

Now that spring 2014 seems to finally be kicking in here in IL (kinda), has anyone done any scouting to see how birds in your area came through this past winter?

As for my county here in N. IL I haven't had much time to get out but did so this afternoon. The area I hit is prime so birds seem to be doing very well. They also had a large unpicked corn field next to this habitat hub which I'm sure helped.

With the help of a pheasant call I managed to get 10 individual roosters to cackle within the section I was in. This means, for every section of nesting cover there's a rooster claiming it as his territory. That's good news considering how bad this past winter was:).

Woodcocks were everywhere. More than I've seen back there in recent years. The whitetail deer I saw looked okay, but again, they had a standing cornfield to feed in all winter.

My dad was out and about by his place today too. Roosters are cackling as they do each spring, cotton tails are in good number:thumbsup:. On the down there were two mountain lions back there. Hopefully they just passing through.

I'd like to hear from other IL folks if you have any reports from the state. Thanks:)
Nick

In Livingston,Ford and Iroquios counties all I have seen are roosters along the back roads and not many at that.Like you,I'm hearing quite a few roosters crowing early in the morning but now in the numbers as past years.I notice that the west side of filter strips be it Big blustem,brome or switchgrass have been pretty flattened down due to this winter's snowdrifts.That doesn't help the bird's situation.Landowners are starting to do their perscribed burns as well.Glad they are able to get it done early before things start greening up.
Not feeling confident about a good year this coming season unless we get an awsome spring for nesting,have to keep our fingers crossed.

Thanks for the update from central IL Rock. If you can, once the weather starts to turn for the better, let us know if you're hearing more birds.:)

UP this way, we got hit with some nasty hail on Saturday. Golf ball sized stuff then followed by more snow last night/today:(

Still early in the season though. That hail would have been a chick killer if it where later in the season.

Nick

I got back out today. Brought the camera but unfortunately these photos are very poor. Sorry:eek:

Anyway, birds are doing their thing. Numbers seem good. I visited an area of private land that's become a bit of an unintentional pheasant experiment--this is why these birds look lighter in color than most other wild Illinois pheasants you'd see.:)

Last edited:
I'm not sure how things have been down state, but it seems lower grass land areas are pretty well flooded out:( A common theme with the springs around here since 2006 or so:mad:.

It's the middle of May and it's snowing too! Not just a rain snow mix, straight snow--collecting on the tree, ground, cars, etc:eek:

We are way over due for some good spring nesting conditions!!!

This was taken this morning (may 16th!) out the back door---and it's still coming down!

Last edited:
Talked to one of the farmers whose land I hunt on and he said yesterday while mowing around when he stores his equipment he saw a hen walk across the road with 8 chicks behind her.Guess all this rain didn't affect her nest site.This was in Livingston county.
Late story but earlier this spring,I was driving on a road by one of the crp fields I hunt and saw a rooster run onto the road.Not paying any attention to my truck because another rooster was chasing him,got to watch the fight for about 30 seconds before the first rooster flushed back into the field with the bully flying after him!Only the second time,I have ever seen two roosters fighting.

A gentleman emailed me some photos of his PF food plots (within the county). He said he saw a hen with several 5-6 week old chicks out there:) That was about a week 1/2 ago.

Time to resurrect this thread:).

Anyone have updates/news out there?

I've been getting some good reports.

A few clients have been seeing roosters fighting (last month) and a few with hens. A friend was putting food plots in the other day and saw a few roosters. My sister takes some back roads to work every day. She's been seeing a number of roosters running across roads.

No word of clutches yet.

Nick

During turkey season,I heard a ton of roosters crowing and driving to and from training and trials in central IL.,I have seen birds along the roads,alot more roosters than hens,the crp has held up well and growing fast.Still early to see chicks by me.This cold,wet weather isn't going to help nesting this spring though.

I was up in April Turkey hunting in Crawford County and did not see any quail, however the weather was wet and cold so I was not surprised. However I did see a bobcat while cleaning out a wood duck house along creek. No pheasants in this area.

This evening I hit the area my sister said she's been seeing pheasants. I wasn't intending on heading out that way so unfortunately I didn't bring my camera along:(.

I saw 3 nice roosters a 1 hen within a few miles of each other. One of the roosters just stood in a open corn field just on the outside of the cover, about 40 yards from my truck, cackling away. I was wondering why he didn't run then a few minutes later a hen popped out of the cover. Immediately he started to display his tail feathers and danced for here!!:thumbsup:. All 4 birds would have made for some nice photos.

Habitat is looking very good.

Next time I had out there I'll bring my camera;) lol

Nick

This evening I hit the same area as last week. There wasn't a lot of movement today. I think the wet weather may have played a part in that. I did see one rooster. He's posted below.

Nick

Anywhere near some public hunting land?:)

Let me know if you or anyone you know is looking for someone to train or hunt with.

Sorry Pointer, no public land around that area. Though, up until the mid-1990's my dad and I hunting this area with some success.

---Flooding----there was a gentleman over here yesterday who said the flooding was pretty bad south of here. Sounds like it was wide-spread. Anyone from those areas with an update?

Nick

Back