Horse and Hunt Club

Has anyone hunted at horse and hunt club in Prior Lake? It looks like a nice place but looking for some first-hand experience. I am Looking for a place to join for the off season that is close to the cities. How were the fields and did the birds actually fly? I've been to some of these hunt clubs and the birds don't leave the ground unless you throw them.

It’s a nice place, I think it’s better once everything is froze up nice as there is a few water features, cat tails etc. the sporting clays area is real nice and the restaurant has great food. Not sure what they charge for a membership however.

It’s a nice place, I think it’s better once everything is froze up nice as there is a few water features, cat tails etc. the sporting clays area is real nice and the restaurant has great food. Not sure what they charge for a membership however.

Excellent Sporty's course and restaurant. Join fee ( to hunt) is over $1000

The hunting areas are hilly, have trees and are narrow in scope - not the best.

If you want high grass, some water features , food plots and similar hunting experience to SD, I would choose Major Ave., west of the city about 45 miles.

Have hunted and trained here for 15-20 years. New owners and I believe the fee is $400 annually.

Have hunted at Traxlers - LeCenter and it's not as good as Major Ave, in my opinion. Shorter grass, hilly. Great restaurant, not the best sporty course. Join fee is over $1000.

Last edited:
jonny - how does the training work st major ave? Do you just rent a field and conduct your own training sessions or are you buying birds to do your training?

jonny - how does the training work st major ave? Do you just rent a field and conduct your own training sessions or are you buying birds to do your training?

When I used their facility, I was usually with a member, so I paid nothing. Not sure what their current policy would be for training. At one time, they had a dog trainer's facility; about a year ago he moved his operation to his home. If you had your dog trained with him, you could use the facility to further train your dog on your own. They had short grass with flags and it worked well for all. You still had to pay for birds, usually chuckers.

I would call them and inquire about how you want to use the property. It's late in the season so they may offer you a deal to use the fields. New owners are very accommodating and good to work with...

Let me know if you want to chat on the phone.

I've looked into Major Ave, only problem there is I am about 20 mins from Horse and hunt vs. hour away from Major. And I would like to be able to find a place that is open year round, not sure how much I would use it in the summer but it would be nice to have the option anyway. Has anyone hunted at Caribou?

Wings of Watertown is another preserve I have used, but I believe it isn't open during the week. Only 25 miles from the western burbs. Lots of great cover.

Hunted Caribou many years ago - too long ago to comment.

I used to be a member at HHC and also have shot quite a bit at Caribou south west along Hwy 169 heading to Mankato near LeSeur/St. Peter. HHC is closer to Twin Cites and Terry does a nice job but they really do not have enough acres for the traffic in my opinion. Much prefer the habitat and terrain at Caribou and Randy and Ann do a great job with clients.

I used to be a member at HHC and also have shot quite a bit at Caribou south west along Hwy 169 heading to Mankato near LeSeur/St. Peter. HHC is closer to Twin Cites and Terry does a nice job but they really do not have enough acres for the traffic in my opinion. Much prefer the habitat and terrain at Caribou and Randy and Ann do a great job with clients.

HHC has plenty of acreage, over 600 acres if I'm not mistaken. Do they have a lot of traffic? Likely I guess I don't hunt there but I've shot several national type Sporting tournaments there and they have a lot of land at their disposal, but so to does Caribou. HHC terrain is rolling hills with trees and wetlands intermixed, while caribou has some rolling topography it also has wide open treeless fields with CRP. So it then becomes a personal preference.

I would include Traxlers as a place to hunt - not sure they accommodate dog training. It's a bit pricey to join and I don't think you can shoot, if you aren't a member.

Back