Hooked!

Wingmaster23

Greetings,

I am a second season hunter, looking forward to a third season in the next few months. I am currently stationed in NC at Ft. Bragg. I haven't done any pheasant hunting here(not sure if they have any either), but, we usually go to my sisters house in SW Kansas for Christmas. Usually about a week. So far I have managed to bag about 13 roosters. I've also been working with my Choc. Lab and I am excited to see her in action. Good hunting to my fellow hunters this year. Thanks

Welcome to UPH, I congratulate you on your service to our country. I hope you get Hooked on UPH as you are hunting. Yes, this place can get addictive.......Bob

Where in Southwest Kansas do you hunt? I'm out at my in-laws for a week or so every Christmas and we hunt just West of Ulysses.

KansasGsp,

Wow, Ulysses is where we go as well. That's actually where my sister stays. We didn't see many pheasant during our last stay during Christmas though. The winds were blowing at an alarming speed! There were tumble weeds rolling as far as the eyes could see. Ha! Quite an experience though. We stayed on the easten edge of Ulysses and didn't go past the Praxair Plant on Hwy 160. The 4 days we hunted, we were only able to see about 3 roosters, who jumped up about 100 yards out, and a few flocks of quail. We were sticking to the "Walk-in" areas designated by the KS. Wildlife Dept, but, the CRP was very thin as well as the pheasent. Better luck this year I hope. Send me a message if you want to link up this year. That would be great.

Thank you all for your Salutes and Thanks and all the other blessings. Bobeyerite, I think I am already getting addicted to this site. Ha!

The walk-in out there is hit and miss and yes, the CRP is usually not very thick on them. We hunt private ground and it's usually pretty darn good, although last year the bird numbers were down quite a bit. I was out there for a week of so in July and the bird numbers look to be much better for this year. Not sure if you've done much knocking on doors and asking for permission to hunt, but there's quite a few farmers out there that are willing to let small groups of hunters hunt. I'm from Wichita, but I really enjoy the 4 or 5 times a year I get out there to hunt. Good luck this year.

Wingmaster23, thank you very much for your service. I think the bird numbers may be a little better this year in that area compared to last year. Hope you have a chance to make the trip out there.

Back