Home Defense Ammo Advice

There are some good YT videos on bullet and weight comparisons for penetration and expansion in gelaton. I don't shoot a 9mm but bullets ranging between the 124 gr and 147 grs will all normally penetrate 14-15 inches or more. Personally, I use either Federal HST or a standard factory brand loaded with a Hornady xtp bullets and stay away from anything branded "zombie killers" or similar.

Ok now I'll stir it up a bit....

Here is my take on it, and just my opinion after more than a decade in the gun advise and subject matter arena. A home defense pistol is only good if you practice and are highly proficient with it in home scenarios such as low light, and or darkness. That being said I often see folks who carry guns for a living miss a relatively easy shot in a stressed environment. So if you are not proficient with shot placement you may want to look at another option as collateral damage can happen. I suggest a 12ga loaded with birdshot as a better option that will have less likelihood of shooting someone in the next house over.

I do carry Fed HST 147gr.
For the love of god use a hand held flashlight too. gun mounted ones generally just get you shot..IMO

Last edited:
For and against arguments are many and can be everlasting. Some sound better than others.

Most of this I've read off the internet...soooo:
-shotgun sounds good, but maybe a 20ga sounds better...I've wondered about the .410 Judge?
-Use ball rounds as the first couple rounds in case you need to shoot through a wall or door...then hollow points there after. This sounds good and I have a couple mags loaded as such.
-Load with all hollow points, so they DON"T go through walls, also makes pretty good sense if family members are in the house.

One thing is for sure, experience is the only teacher and, experience comes with a price.

A home defense pistol is only good if you practice and are highly proficient with it in home scenarios such as low light, and or darkness. That being said I often see folks who carry guns for a living miss a relatively easy shot in a stressed environment. So if you are not proficient with shot placement you may want to look at another option as collateral damage can happen. I suggest a 12ga loaded with birdshot as a better option that will have less likelihood of shooting someone in the next house over.

Completely agree. I have a 9mm pistol primarily for home defense and range purposes but there is no doubt that I would cave under pressure should an intruder enter the home. Accuracy is extremely difficult with a hand gun and range needs to be quite close.

For that very reason, I upgraded to a zombie slayer, aka a home defense shotgun.

There are some good YT videos on bullet and weight comparisons for penetration and expansion in gelaton. I don't shoot a 9mm but bullets ranging between the 124 gr and 147 grs will all normally penetrate 14-15 inches or more. Personally, I use either Federal HST or a standard factory brand loaded with a Hornady xtp bullets and stay away from anything branded "zombie killers" or similar.
I shot a wild boar a few years ago with my 9mm and 125 grain zombie killer ammo. It wasn't a huge hog but both shots went clean through. So I think it would stop any man walking the earth haha

I’ll ride or die with a shotgun in my house and in the field. There are those who are very proficient with a hand gun, I am not… my youth 20 gauge from years ago with #4 lead is ready to bark!

Back