Holster

outdoorslife89

Had a convo with someone I met the other day at the range. One thing led to another and here I am asking you...

Anyone use products designed to help hold their gun during upland hunts or is anything out there that allows you to be hands free while walking the fields? Not a regular sling...I cant see anyone using a sling on an O/U or SxS, haha. Something like this or something different? See link below

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66785?page=shotgun-holster

I dont see myself using one and will just carry as usual, but I was curious about what others did and figured I would ask you guys as a conversation piece.

Not sure how the holster would work durng the winter, when one is wearing a coat or jacket. Not a bad idea for those long hikes, however.

Always thought a scabbard mounted on the drivers side fender or door would be handy!

Last edited:
I have slings on all my shotguns. They make a barrel band sling swivel set for over/unders. Actually have a set ordered from Midway for my 16 ga. Rizzini.

Have used a Peregrine quickshot holster for about 5 years.works well in thick cattails and in very cold temps,as you can switch hands. You need a stiff belt and needs to be snugged up.

Thanks guys. I liked the idea of a holster for my Dad and possibly even myself for when we head west and hunt some longer days. Our hunts are not typically too long here though. Im now starting to believe that I may just grab an O/U sling at least for Remi's first few hunts. I have my Dad going with me to be a shooter most days but I will carry as well so I can back him up, haha. Plus Im running her on a cord to start and it would be nice to be carrying and have both hands free, for any reason, the more I think about it. As she progresses over time, I can drop the sling when warranted.

Thoughts on that?

I just found a claw shotgun sling for $22 that I could use for this purpose. https://www.amazon.com/Blackpowder-..._1?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=HFMW54B15SK380NPKWNT

And a magnasoft sling for $31. https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Company-Rifle-MagnaSoft-Cartridge/dp/B002E3L9WE

I have slings on all my shotguns. They make a barrel band sling swivel set for over/unders. Actually have a set ordered from Midway for my 16 ga. Rizzini.

After some thought Im starting to believe I may need to go this route. Reason being I would imagine a sling designed to just slip over the stock and barrel like the claw I mentioned above, would interfere with the front bead on the gun. Wouldnt ya think?

I'll need to find something for a Stevens 555 in 20 gauge

I always carry a Glock 19 with me because I am guarding a very important person and in order not to declassify the weapons that I carry with me, I use a shoulder holster. After studying a huge amount of info, I found out which holster would suit me best and which holster would be the most inconspicuous. I asked the boss for money to purchase this holster and it fits perfectly for the Glock 19. The name of this holster is a Mini Glock holster. It cost me about a hundred and fifty bucks and with it comes a bunch of accessories that can be added to the holster or removed. I really liked it and it is very comfortable, I recommend it to everyone.

Not quite a holster, but some years ago I messed around with the idea of using a hip shelf to rest a shotgun on--imagine a carpenter's hammer belt flap, with a solid wire loop to slide the hammer in. Now, take the hammer out, and rest your shotgun on it.

It's feasible, but I dropped the idea because I wasn't about to fabricate a good gun-butt socket on the leather flap.

Might be worth considering for one of you guys who has skills.

Best wishes.

New guy did some diggin to find a thread over 4 years old, I think the intent here is for "shotguns" while hunting birds.

For me, I have no use for a long gun holster and I seldom use a sling. If I am "hunting", I am ready to shoot. If I am walking back to the truck on the shoulder of the road....that is a time for a sling...I don't have the need for it often. Seems many hunters that weren't raising hunting, are ready only when the dogs are birdy....if I am in cover, I am ready. Much easier to shoot birds if you are ready. My buddy would likely tell you that he hears "are you ready?" followed by "you don't look ready" way too much!

Coyote Leather in grand Parrie texas makes a belt mounted stock rest which allows you to hold the gun in a quick mount position with one hand. Works very well so you can rest or warm either hand while walking. He is also a pheasant hunter who knows what works and what a hunter needs.

Coyote Leather in grand Parrie texas makes a belt mounted stock rest which allows you to hold the gun in a quick mount position with one hand. Works very well so you can rest or warm either hand while walking. He is also a pheasant hunter who knows what works and what a hunter needs.

As I recall, one of the problems of wearing a gun-butt rest on my belt was the issue of having a hunting jacket over it. I reckoned that I would need to have a separate belt for the holster, or perhaps a cross-shoulder strap from which to suspend it. to put on outside of whatever hunting coat I was wearing, otherwise the rest platform would be under the jacket/coat. Not a real problem, but just one more thing to put on and carry around.

Still think it is a feasible idea, even if I didn't pursue it.

Had a convo with someone I met the other day at the range. One thing led to another and here I am asking you...

Anyone use products designed to help hold their gun during upland hunts or is anything out there that allows you to be hands free while walking the fields? Not a regular sling...I cant see anyone using a sling on an O/U or SxS, haha. Something like this or something different? See link below

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66785?page=shotgun-holster

I dont see myself using one and will just carry as usual, but I was curious about what others did and figured I would ask you guys as a conversation piece.

I have a gun butt holster like the L.L. Bean one shown in your link. It works well and takes hardly any effort to stabilize the gun in a vertical position with one hand. It hangs low enough that there is little interference with your coat.

I have the LL Bean and one made by Orvis. The LL Bean is a little bigger and holds its shape better, but both work well. I can now pack my gun for hours and the gun mounts vary fast when its holstered

Last edited:
Back