Hog Hunt

kiotehntr

Super Moderator
Two of my cousins have invited me to Lamar, Ok for a 3.5 day hog hunt. They have been going down to this place for 3 years I believe. I'm not sure yet as to the name of it but I think that it sounds interesting. Any one else ever go on a hog hunt and if so how was it. I'm thinking about taking the wife along to let her shoot a hog as well.

I went on one last year near Lake Eufaula (sp?). It was thick and deep in the backwoods. To say this was a budget trip is putting it mildly. The "lodge" consisted of an old doublewide, and we actually bunked in an old school bus that we shared with another group of 4 (our group was 3). Toilet was an outhouse (naturally) and shower was at the truck stop near town. Wouldn't take the wife, she would be pi$$$$$ed if she couldn't take a shower more than once a week. We were cool with it.
The hunting was second fiddle to the surroundings and, shall we say, customs. Every meal consisted of hog, snake, squirrel, or venison. Dinner was served with homemade wine sitting around a campfire. And every night round bout 9 o'clock locals would start coming in from the woods carrying jugs of mash and a party would ensue. I kid you not. Complete with overalls, banjo, and at least one missing tooth. I grew up in OK, so I could handle it. But your wife may leave you the first night.
The hogs were massive and mean. I thought I'd be the cool guy and take one with a bow. Didn't happen. They also offered the old hatchet hunt. IMO you have to be missing a few brain cells to try and take one of those beasts with hand-to-tusk combat. But it's available.
Good luck! -Wilson

My cousin just told me the dates that they were going and I can't make it anyways. I have a fishing tournament that same weekend and I have the chance to win money instead of spending it. I still would like to go on a hog hunt just can't make it this time.

I admit to hunting hogs, but I'm not into the bait, hide, and shoot type hunts and yes, the big ones are mean and agressive. However, a 40-60 pounder makes great sausage when mixed with deer or elk. I recommend the hunt if you can but definitely not as exciting as that rooster or covey of quail busting out from under your feet.

Back