Here's a new thing I learned about biology today

I know it seems crazy. Maybe this was just a small pocket of birds that had the third hatch. But remember the third hatch barely had colors in November. I was very lucky to experience it. Damn things were everywhere, lol. Have not experienced it again out of 5 other states that I have hunted Roosters.
I think the difference of opinion on here is on the terms. Was it a 3rd hatch or a 3rd nesting attempt? In your original post you said it was a third hatch. That is probably not true. Most likely it was the third nesting attempt that finally produced one successful hatch and thus you saw young roosters later in the year than normal. The article you shared backs that up as well.

Bob, I'm not a biologist therefore I am not an expert. I just know what I saw that year. Did I do a survey? Count per mile? No, I just had locals tell me there was a third hatch that year. I have never seen that many birds, and some had very little color. Not sure why they would have lied, but maybe they did. Let's just say they all lied and I have no idea what I am talking about. Satisfied ???

Over the decades I’ve been hunting I’ve heard that type of thing dozens of times, be it farmer, hunter, mailman, bar owner, you name it…no big deal, I get the gist of what’s being conveyed…there are some years, like 2003, when the planets align and things are amazing….🥳🍻

It's definitely a fact that quail will re nest up to 3 times if they lose a nest. And that they are smaller each time. I watched a nest of late nest with three eggs in it once. If I remember correctly is was September. I've also seen quail to about sparrow size in November. I knew a guy from Quail Nerds area once that said if the chicks were hatched early enough that the chick could nest the same season. That sound like a stretch though.

It's definitely a fact that quail will re nest up to 3 times if they lose a nest. And that they are smaller each time. I watched a nest of late nest with three eggs in it once. If I remember correctly is was September. I've also seen quail to about sparrow size in November. I knew a guy from Quail Nerds area once that said if the chicks were hatched early enough that the chick could nest the same season. That sound like a stretch though.
I suspect most upland birds are similar, pheasants included…I’ve read that pheasants will even attempt a 4th time or more if all prior attempts fail for whatever reason…

I guess anything is possible dude, our problem is I’ve seen hens sit and wait on the timely rains to initiate nest for even a chance at success. If they fall timely in early spring it’s go time, last year what rain we did get started in July and that’s when nesting season kicked off. Check out this Facebook page, the sole purpose of the staff is to locate, observe and record nesting activity. IMG_5295.png

Back