Helping young pheasant chicks

SDJIM

I once read that in very arid conditions that chick mortality can be very high due to lack of insects they need to survive. In an older issue(5 yrs at least) of the Pheasnats Forever Journal there was an article about how to help--it involved creating a moist green patch of ground near cover that allowed the insect population to floursh and still provided the chicks escape cover. Does anyone remember this article and the issue that it was in--I would like to try this idea in dry years like this year in SD. I think I have some ground near both a water source and decent nesting cover that would work. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.:)

We've been filling a pond with well water for about a 8 weeks now. Its amazing how quickly the deer find it. Havent seen any pheasants around it, but I'm thinking that next summer, there will be a sprinkler running somewhere in the vicinity, if we dont get any moisture. Maybe on a timer of sorts.

I have this too at my dad's place Jim.

I'll look through my PF magazines next time I'm up there and mail it to you.

Good luck with this project. The more insects the better. If moister/water, food, shelter are all near/within the same area the chicks survival rate goes up. The less traveling they have to do the better off they are.

I once read that in very arid conditions that chick mortality can be very high due to lack of insects they need to survive. In an older issue(5 yrs at least) of the Pheasnats Forever Journal there was an article about how to help--it involved creating a moist green patch of ground near cover that allowed the insect population to floursh and still provided the chicks escape cover. Does anyone remember this article and the issue that it was in--I would like to try this idea in dry years like this year in SD. I think I have some ground near both a water source and decent nesting cover that would work. Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.:)

Jim, you are right on the money. Brooding time is a 2 month window and many managers overlook this critical time. I think you are on the right track. here is an article on PF sight on brooding cover.

http://www.pheasantsforever.org/page/1/broodrearing.jsp

I have finally found the issue of Pheasants Forever that contains the article on helping broods thru arid conditions.

Pheasants Forever Journal winter 2007 Page 52 " Brood Strips In Arid Areas"

It is a very good article that can work in lots of areas, some high lights:

One area in eastern Or. had a 800% increase in roosters taken after brood strips were installed.

A controlled test at the Little Dry Creek Calif. WMA's had the following results:
WMA#7 255 flushed--233 juveniles 22 hens or a 10.5 chicks/hen ratio
WMA#6 110 flushed--99 juveniles 11 hens or a 9.0 chicks/hen ratio
WMA#9 had no brood strips and 45 flushes--33 juveniles 12 hens for a 2.8 chicks/hen ratio.

I'm going to set up to do this and use if conditions require it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
That?s great Jim,

Can you provide what they define as a Brood Strip? Is there a recommended dimension or components of a Brood Strip?

I?m on pretty arid ground and might add this if it?s reasonable to do.

Thanks,

Jerry

Jim, you are absolutely correct. A big need. Best solution is to put a 45' alfalfa firebreak perimeter around all your CRP fields and signup for prescribed burn as mid managment practice. All my fields have this design. You can convert existing CRP fields too but will be at your own dime. I did. Makes burns a snap and safe and little prep.

Back