Help with Dilemma?

cheesy

I've got a bit of a problem, not sure how to handle it.

My 12th wedding anniversary is coming up, November 7th to be exact. But, have an invite for private wild bird hunt (10,000 contiguous acres) full of gorgeous habitat, have done extremely well there the last 2 years when I was also invited. Like bird hunting paradise. The stuff a pheasant hunters dreams are made of. Of course, the invite is for hunting November 4th, 5th, and 6th. 12 hour drive home.

So, the dilemma, do you think I should shoot the trusty ol' Beretta 391 12 gauge? Or go a bit nostalgic with the 70 year old Ithaca 37s in 16 or 20? Or the old60 year old Geman double in 12? Guess I could use a different one on each day maybe?

Lol, good one Cheesy! I went on our annual "Mancation" fishing trip this past summer and missed our anniversary. My wife knew what she was getting herself into when she married me, lol.

Lol, good one Cheesy! I went on our annual "Mancation" fishing trip this past summer and missed our anniversary. My wife knew what she was getting herself into when she married me, lol.
My 50th coming up on the 28th. Got married on opening day. Wedding was at 7pm because preacher was hunting also… I was cleaning birds @ 6 pm on her back porch. She asked why I was taking the shotgun on the honeymoon… told her you never know when one will run across the road…
Been in N Dakota a couple of anniversaries with no complaints from the ball and chain

My 12th wedding anniversary is coming up, November 7th to be exact. But, have an invite for private wild bird hunt (10,000 contiguous acres) full of gorgeous habitat, have done extremely well there the last 2 years when I was also invited. Like bird hunting paradise. The stuff a pheasant hunters dreams are made of. Of course, the invite is for hunting November 4th, 5th, and 6th. 12 hour drive home.

So, the dilemma, do you think I should shoot the trusty ol' Beretta 391 12 gauge? Or go a bit nostalgic with the 70 year old Ithaca 37s in 16 or 20? Or the old60 year old Geman double in 12? Guess I could use a different one on each day maybe?
pick a gun and go, KS. going to be really tough this season, she will understand.

To all the bachelors on this site please learn from this. It may be the best educational tool you will run across on UPH. Do not make the mistake above. Listen to me now and hear me later: Take the damn calendar and black out mid-October through mid-January before even proposing. Do not take the chance of the future misses maybe being okay with you going on a trip on the 12th anniversary. They will turn on you. The probability of your future wife wanting week vacations on those 5 year multiple "special" anniversaries increases. They will insist that they are okay with you going on a hunting trip but it is a trap. That is a big T.R.A.P. Don't fall for it.

Youngsters/Bachelors - it has to be Mid-February - Destination Wedding preferred. IMPORTANT: I had this talk with my two daughters as well. Please do the same. P.S. - You are all invited to my daughter's wedding on Nov 3, 2023 - #WTH

Indeed Cheesy, we all wish the real dilemma is what gun/gauge to shoot🤣
To address the true quandary, suggest 1) getting your keister home by early afternoon the 7th 2) with flowers & a nice card in hand 3) since your anniversary falls on a Monday this year, and most restaurants are closed on Monday - find one of your wife’s favorite places, that is in fact closed on Monday, and book a reservation for Tuesday & do so asap
Sub gauge would be my vote
Good luck, have a great trip & anniversary celebration!

Indeed Cheesy, we all wish the real dilemma is what gun/gauge to shoot🤣
To address the true quandary, suggest 1) getting your keister home by early afternoon the 7th
Take a look at when the 7th was the last 2 years, Saturday and Sunday. But man we shot a lot of birds. “Of course you’re gone hunting in only weekend anniversary dates we have for the next X years…”

Hunting with the same buddy now as I hunted with the weekend before my wedding. I was supposed to be in central Texas prepping for the wedding. Instead, we were in northern Missouri shooting pheasants. At least I set a hood precedent then.

We will get home about 4am Monday morning, shower, swap suitcases, and head to the Tulsa airport to fly to the Florida Keys for a week of fishing and whatever else.

Next time I get married it’s going to be in the middle of July….

To all the bachelors on this site please learn from this. It may be the best educational tool you will run across on UPH. Do not make the mistake above. Listen to me now and hear me later: Take the damn calendar and black out mid-October through mid-January before even proposing. Do not take the chance of the future misses maybe being okay with you going on a trip on the 12th anniversary. They will turn on you. The probability of your future wife wanting week vacations on those 5 year multiple "special" anniversaries increases. They will insist that they are okay with you going on a hunting trip but it is a trap. That is a big T.R.A.P. Don't fall for it.

Youngsters/Bachelors - it has to be Mid-February - Destination Wedding preferred. IMPORTANT: I had this talk with my two daughters as well. Please do the same. P.S. - You are all invited to my daughter's wedding on Nov 3, 2023 - #WTH
Excellent advice NDPheasant. That would take some poor judgement by anyone who gets married during pheasant season. Also for those youngster starting families, it takes nine months to bake. Good idea to make sure one is shooting blanks the few months of the year.

NDPheasant has great advice for all the unmarried guys out there.

I’ll also add, when she says “I don’t F-ing care where you go on our anniversary next year”, turns out, that’s a lie, and she really does care. Who would have known?

Corndawg, in my inexcusable defense, at the time I only really hunted Kansas, bird numbers were great, and opening weekend is always the next weekend. I know that really is not an excuse and I learned my lesson. Times have changed for sure.

My woman knows what's up. Fall is for hunting. Winter, spring summer whatever, I'll do it. Just not in the fall. I skipped her brother's wedding a few year's back as it was on phez opener. Who does that kinda thing?

We’ll back when I got married you couldn’t hunt so dak past the first weekend in January so I thought I outsmarted it and got married after that weekend and then so dak finally extended to January 31. I’ve missed my anniversary the last 3 years hunting in so dak but thank goodness my wife doesn’t care. I try to take her to a nice place for dinner when I get back but she usually says that’s too much.

Also depends when the baby is due.

Back